Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Battery Draining, Relays on

smythie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wagon executive
Hi, i have a battery totally draining overnight in my 2000 VT.
I heard a relay clicking as i reconnected the -VE battery lead, turned out to be the Internal Illumination relay on the underdash fusebox. I pulled that out and found out there is ANOTHER relay latching in the BCM. NO interior lights are on (faulty switches) so i am open to ideas of what to look for. I have looked at roof light, glove box, boot. anything else to look for? I also noticed the thermo fans would sometimes come on when i started the car but the aircon was off (i have since learned they have sticky relays) it also would not start at one stage (totally no sign of turning over) but battery was fine. since pulling all relays/fuses things seem better than they were but this Int Ill relay is still getting power for some reason.

Hope someone can suggest a troubleshooting procedure.

Thanks

Gary

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
the second click you hear is for the power windows

chances are that the alternator is faulty or the battery needs replacing

on the vt/vx all power is switched off to everything inside the cabin after 45 mins after the car has been locked, unless you've added something and wired it to the battery

smythie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wagon executive
Well i removed all fuses and relays from the fusebox and it still clicks when you reconnect the negative batt terminal, i ran two wires (onefrom negative battery lead, other from negative battery post) to the drivers seat to act as a switch, as i connected/disconnected the wires i felt under the dash behind the fuse box and there is a relay clicking in the BCM, hope that clears things up a bit more.

Gary

smythie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wagon executive
Well i don't think it's the BCM doing this, can someone please tell me if i'm missing a light or something to check? i pulled the INT ILLUM relay out for a week and battery is fine. just gotta find out what is connected to that relay apart from the previous lamps mentioned. Any help appreciated.

pkeon

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vb 5speed
hello our vt v6 has the same problem It is at the auto elecs now,they dont know why the interior lamp relay is getting power when its not supposed to !!!!!!What was the problem with yours in the end?
Regards Peter