Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

series 2 calais with series 1 engine wiring.

hsv6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais
hi i just brought a mint series 2 vn calais but its had a series 2 engine put in, and the wirings just been hacked at, tryed cuttting and rejoining plugs. i havnt picked the car up yet so im wanting to know what im going to need to get it running (wiring side of things?) a series one loom? how much of a job is it to change ? how much actually behind the dash is there that im going to have to mess with? any help would be great cheers

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
my vn berlina wagon had a series 2 vn calais engine put in the other weekend and i had to use the old loom from my series 1 engine to get it to start. however i have had some problems with it. when i start the car up the fuel guage will read much less than it is and my stereo will cut out unless i rev it to about 3000rpm. also if i have my lights on the dash lights and headlights will be heaps dull until i do the rev. any suggestions?

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
hi i just brought a mint series 2 vn calais but its had a series 2 engine put in, and the wirings just been hacked at, tryed cuttting and rejoining plugs. i havnt picked the car up yet so im wanting to know what im going to need to get it running (wiring side of things?) a series one loom? how much of a job is it to change ? how much actually behind the dash is there that im going to have to mess with? any help would be great cheers

as i replied just before, my vn berlina wagon had a series 2 vn calais engine put in and we tried cutting and soldering plugs to the loom but had to go back to the series one loom that i originally had from my old engine in order for it to start. also it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to remove a loom from an engine that is already in the car (same time frame to replace), starting from the ecu in the passenger foot well. then you have to take out the gromet so you can push the wiring and plugs through the firewall and into the engine bay. after that you have to f*ck around with the drive belt and move the alternate (plus various other parts) in order to remove the rest of the loom.
i hope this has helped with your problem
kind regards

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I dont get whats the go is it a S2 calais with a S1 motor? or a S2Calais with a S2 motor and S1 loom?

When i converted my S1 to a S2 i used a S2 loom was a bit of rewiring involved the dash harness to ecu was different required rewiring do did the alternator wires (mainly because i used S1 power loom been easier with a S2 power loom) and i think one at the fuse box was different

hsv6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais
the calais is a series 2 with a s1 engine, im not to sure exactly as to what loom is on the motor right no but im guessing its the s1, its down near the battery/fuse box where the two join is where the cut and rewired plugs are, ive only had a quick look over it so im not 100%, but this other guy is saying if you spray a bit of start ya barsted in the throttle body it will 'pop' as in a short fire any ideas on what that would mean because it must be getting spark ect..
im not to bad with engines them selfs but when it comes to wiring its a diffrent story
thanks for the help so far guys
picking it up monday so shouldbe a bit easyer when i can have a good look.