Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Window Switches - "Generic" type!

MILD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais - 355, Powerglide, 9"
I came across a driver's side power window switch block to suit a VN- VS. Because I'm having dramas with my windows- and everyone is insisting I need to change the switch block- I'd like to use this and see how it goes.

The problem I have is that although the switches look the part on top, the pin layout on the bottom is quite different and from memory they are not numbered.

Has anyone wired these in before? Is there a trick to it? I imagine the pins in the middle are for the child lock but as to which pin is for the up / down and earth I'm at a loss.

If anyone's given it a crack before I'd love to hear it because it'll save me some trial and error. The car in question is a VN Calais.

Attachments

• pw pins.jpg
    pw pins.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 233

MILD

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here's the pics:

top.JPG

bottom.JPG

pins.JPG

If I had to guess, it looks like these are three seperate modules- the two switches and the child lock. The problem is I don't know which wires go to which pins. The factory unit looks like it has unused pins as well but the layout is different. At this stage I am assuming I can use the existing loom with spade terminals to hook this thing up using the existing seven wires.

The pins on this switch block aren't numbered with the exception of the two pins that go to the child lock.

Any ideas?

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
I suggest to get a multimeter and play . . Start with centre pins ve+ ve-each side of the paired pins, possibly change polarity depending which side of the switch is. pressed ie +-/+-/-+ (up/feed/down) Happy testing ;)

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Would be hard to say without opening and having a look, else you will have to use a multmeter as said. VN-VS power window switches are a norminally earthed setup, The stock drivers side) switches have 7 pinouts, to which power and earth are supplied on 2 pins, But I'd say on these switches by the look of them you will have to run separate power/earth to each side due to the amount of pins you have there. Either solder (once 100% sure) or use crimp connectors.

MILD

Reaction score
Members Ride
I dicked around with a multimeter but it was going to be too much trouble to wire up. I did away with them and got a VY switch block instead.

I'm hoping to find a plug for that and away I go. I've got a wiring diagram but I'm hoping a suitable plug will be neater than a whole heap of crimped connectors.

MILD

Reaction score
Members Ride
A mate had them. I believe he picked them up from a local wreckers or someone parting a car out?