Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

injection troubles, power but wont pulse.

hsv6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais
ok so ive narrowed it down to the injectors on 89 vn calais, fuel pumps pumping, fuel flowing through the rail, injectors have power to them but wont pulse. ive tryed 2 diffrent ecu's. and now im stuck if i "hotwire" a injector pulses straight away.
have spark ect, bit of start ya barsted in the throttle and it will pop first go.
what else could it be?

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
If you have voltage at all injectors, and injectors all fire if you hotwire them, and you've tried two different ECU's, I'd say that something else in the car is telling the ECU not to fire the injectors. The VNs had an immobilier system override keyswitch in the glovebox from memory (later ones were in the passenger door well). Try starting the car with this switch turned off, and also make sure that the keyswitch is tight, and that the wiring and connector behind the keyswitch is all OK.

Good luck.

hsv6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais
If you have voltage at all injectors, and injectors all fire if you hotwire them, and you've tried two different ECU's, I'd say that something else in the car is telling the ECU not to fire the injectors. The VNs had an immobilier system override keyswitch in the glovebox from memory (later ones were in the passenger door well). Try starting the car with this switch turned off, and also make sure that the keyswitch is tight, and that the wiring and connector behind the keyswitch is all OK.

Good luck.

yeah ive just noticed that this has been riped out of the glove box, would not having it in there cause this?
i do have another vn with one but i dont have the key for it, but it runs fine. would pulling it out and trying it be worth a shot you think?
cheers mate.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's been a while since I've played with VNs. When you say it's been ripped out, has it obviously been removed, or is there just a hole where it would have been located? When they moved the location from the glovebox to the passenger door jamb, the hole was left there, empty. Have you had a look at the lower front of the passenger door jamb to see if there is a keyswitch there? If not, and if the keyswitch has been removed, has the car ever started for you or not? If not, maybe there's some bare wires behind the glovebox that will be the culprit. From memory, the keyswitch shorts the two wires together to tell the ECU that the immobiliser is turned off, and that the motor should start. That's why they relocated the keyswitch I think - it was too easy to hit the glovebox with a hammer to get to the immobiliser wiring and hotwire it.

If it's a Calais, doesn't it ring a warning chime if you try to start the car with the immobiliser active? I know the VP Calais does.

hsv6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais
Yeah it had been taken from the glove box, they just unplugged it, the car was never started for me as I was only going to use it as a parts car. Pulled the key lock from the other commodore and plugged it in turned the motor over while watching the injectors and hey we have fuel, pit everything back together and she started first shot. Thank bud

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good stuff. Glad to help.