Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Footwell Lighting

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Heyya,

Has anyone here written up a detailed how-to for footwell lighting?

I would like to do this mod to my car as i have all the parts, just want to hard wire it in to the interior lighting so that when i open the door, the footwell lights switch on.

I tried wiring a single test light up to the interior light switch on the door and it seemed to work for about 10 seconds then decided to burn up on me, so i would like to attempt this again WITHOUT setting my whole car on fire haha.

So does anyone have any detailed instructions on how to hard wire in these lights properly and most of all, safely?

Thanks

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Heyya,

Has anyone here written up a detailed how-to for footwell lighting?

I would like to do this mod to my car as i have all the parts, just want to hard wire it in to the interior lighting so that when i open the door, the footwell lights switch on.

I tried wiring a single test light up to the interior light switch on the door and it seemed to work for about 10 seconds then decided to burn up on me, so i would like to attempt this again WITHOUT setting my whole car on fire haha.

So does anyone have any detailed instructions on how to hard wire in these lights properly and most of all, safely?

Thanks

wen u say u hooked them up 2 ur interior light on the door do u mean the lights that r mounted on the door skins?

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
No there's a switch near the sills sort of close to the blinker so that when the door opens it switches to an 'on' position and the interior light comes on, kinda hard to explain
Sorry for being so vague, ill get a pic when i can and upload

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
thanks for the link D3CID3R, however i want them to come on automatic when the door opens, not run via a switch

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Ahhh i know wat switch u mean, tho if u wanna wire it up that way i find it best 2 go through the steering colume and find the interior light wires, u can simply tap into the ignition ring.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I found the wire under the door scuff plate and tapped into it. That's in VY, though, should be the same, as these are the wires that run up the B pillar.

joel mcinnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute 1997
I found the wire under the door scuff plate and tapped into it. That's in VY, though, shold be the same, as these are the wires that run up the B pillar.
Hey mate what wire did you tap into as I am doing it to my vy wagon right now!?