Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Electrical Fiasco

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
So here is the situation. My dash seems to be showing a battery or electrical failure (Battery icon is highlighted). Brand new battery, brand new alternator, brand new leads. As i turn the key to the on position Theres a high pitch whine not all that loud but audible coming from the alternator. And as you switch it back to ACC something gargles i havnt got 2 people at the moment so i cant source that sound.

The only thing that springs to my mind is a bad earth on the head unit because im getting stupid noises through the speakers.

Any directions or pointers are much appreciated

Last edited:

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
The key position that brings the reds up is ON. Hope this helps. :p

Seriously, does the gargle noise come from behind the dash, ie:heater core area? Could be air in the cooling system.

Did it just start doing this? Have you done/fixed/changed anything lately?

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Yeah static beat you to it :p

Nah it comes from the engine bay like around the spark plugs or something.

Its been doing it for a while now ever since i ripped the interior out, but only then i re-wired was the head units earth. Since then the alternator completely spazzed and died so i bought a new one and replaced it yesterday and also got a yellow top battery last week something still managed to drain the life out of it (granted the alternator was dead but still). I also took the MAF out and checked it for any grubbyness then put it back in.

Ehmmm thats about all i can think of

shane kal

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 6 speed
Just check if you take out the fuel pump relay will that gurgling noise stop when you turn the car on sounds like low fuel or pick up in tank is sucking air like a broken straw.
car won’t start though without fuel pump relay.
Check for positive at the alternator on the 2 wire plug 1 brown wire goes to dash light 1 white one goes to battery i think i got the colours right any way the positive should be on one of them wires.

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Hey, it magically fixed itself since posting and no problems since. Cheers