Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX indicator flasher relay unit help/LED indicator hyperflash

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I've just put LED indicators into my car, and as expected, I'm getting the hyperflash that indicates a blown globe (due to the LED's power draw being so low). I could fix this with a load resistor to emulate the same power usage, but the problem with this is that I will actually be using that extra power, and the resistor will heat up. I would much rather swap out the flasher relay to one that doesn't care about the load. I have seen plenty of them around, and even bought one off eBay from china, but surprise surprise, that didn't work (no flashing happened at all when putting the eBay relay into the socket).

Has anyone else put LED globes into their indicators and fixed the hyperflash? Would like to know if there is a relay out there that will work...

Cheers
Denno

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
thanks mate, just emailed Narva asking them.

Would really love to hear from someone who has used the flasher though, see if it really does work.

Cheers

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
yep, i'm using the narva flasher in mine.

only problem is no clicking sound - if that bothers you, you can just setup another relay to do the clicking.

other thing is, they are very sensitive to overload - 30watts max, so if you only have LEDs in the back, and hit your hazards, the load of the front ones will burn it out.

but otherwise, they are a great little unit.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Sweet man thanks for the tip.

So when you say about burning out the flasher due to the load on the front ones... are you referring to having LED's in the back, but still halogens in the front? If I've got LED's all around, then I can't see the load hitting 30W at all..

Cheers
Denno

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I just bought the Narva LED Flasher today and it works a gem. Doesn't make the sound as you suggested, but that's ok, I'll just have to stay aware of the fact :).

Thanks for the feeedback wamboin23

P4tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SII
LED Indicators Hyperflash Fix

I've just put LED indicators into my car, and as expected, I'm getting the hyperflash that indicates a blown globe (due to the LED's power draw being so low). I could fix this with a load resistor to emulate the same power usage, but the problem with this is that I will actually be using that extra power, and the resistor will heat up. I would much rather swap out the flasher relay to one that doesn't care about the load. I have seen plenty of them around, and even bought one off eBay from china, but surprise surprise, that didn't work (no flashing happened at all when putting the eBay relay into the socket).

Has anyone else put LED globes into their indicators and fixed the hyperflash? Would like to know if there is a relay out there that will work...

Cheers
Denno

Hi, After a lot of running around and going through just the same thing as you are experiencing. I had to do a couple of mods with the factory electronic flasher which is a 2 fold process. 1. Disabling the lamp-out feature that causes the hyper-flash due to hardly any load, 2. another mod to adjust the flash rate back to normal.
This was the only way I could keep the power saving feature of LED's with out using any Load Resistors

I can do a change-over 3 Pin electronic factory flasher mod for LED Lamps for $20

Cheers

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Thanks for the reply mate. I was thinking about modifying the stock flasher as you have, because I found a tutorial on how to do it with a Ford one (how hard could it be to adapt that to a Holden one aye? lol). Anyway, I went and bought the Narva Flasher anyway, and that works perfectly. And the flasher is $20.. Only downside is there is no longer the clicking sound from a relay changing, but that's alright :).

Cheers
Denno

NVMYVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Exec wags and vl berlina
Thanks for the reply mate. I was thinking about modifying the stock flasher as you have, because I found a tutorial on how to do it with a Ford one (how hard could it be to adapt that to a Holden one aye? lol). Anyway, I went and bought the Narva Flasher anyway, and that works perfectly. And the flasher is $20.. Only downside is there is no longer the clicking sound from a relay changing, but that's alright :).

Cheers
Denno
Hey bud, I know this is an obsolete post but do you remember the part number for the relay you got by any chance, I have gone through 3 different load sensitive relays recommended for my car with led lights but all still blink fast. Cheers.