Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs 1999 5.0 not starting

chevsrus

Reaction score
Members Ride
1941 chev, 1937 chev truck, 1931 chev coupe, vs 3
Help!
i have a series 3 1999 statesman 5.0 with a tartarini lpg processor
It wont start on fuel because the system requires fuel initially to run.
i have no power to the pump
I have replaced the pump and even taken the processor and loom out of the car
but still no power, checked replaced the fuses and relays.
the loom that powers the pump and sender has 4 wires but none of them are purple as i was told that its the positive supply.
I am not too sure but was told that when they install the lpg they cut one of the wires to the pump and run it through the lpg but as i have removed all wires from it they were not cut but only spliced into the pcm harness.
Can i supply the pump directly to get it running and what colour wire is it near the pump.
I can then take it to a auto elec to fix it properly.
Any ideas or diagrams for a tartarini processor as i cant find any info.
thanks

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
you'll probably never check here again but .....

there will be a fuel cutoff relay added, it's standard with all LPG installs

check under the bonnet or in the driver side fuse panel you can't miss the extra relays that are added

chevsrus

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the reply but from what i can see and remember there is no spare relay added in either place and i have checked them also by replacement.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
the loom that powers the pump and sender has 4 wires but none of them are purple as i was told that its the positive supply.
The gregorys workshop manual for the VS V6 shows that the power supply wire to the fuel pump is a Violet (or purple) coloured wire.This Violet coloured wire goes from the fuel pump relay, through to the pump.I also have another workshop manual for VN - VS V6 and V8,and it also shows that the power supply wire for the fuel pump on all models is a Violet coloured wire,so it has to be there somewhere.

chevsrus

Reaction score
Members Ride
The wire colouurs are black/white, black/yellow, tan, black
It is a 1999 series three with the vt roller cammed engine and as i have found nearly everything is different from the series 1 and 2. I have the factory manual for series 1 and it shows purple also,thats why i am stumped.
thanks for your time

shane kal

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 6 speed
do you here the fuel pump relay turning on if so look under it and you should see one of the wires you’re looking for
if someone has put in another relay breaking the connection for lpg they may have put it out of sight at least you will know what colour wire your suppose to use also test the wire and see if there is positive to the rlay coil when you turn the car on and positive to the relay contact point from the batery and negitive to the other side of the relay coil the wire left over will go to the pump.

Last edited:

shane kal

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 6 speed
pin A1 is + from the ECU dark green/white look for it and positive at the fuel pump relay coil you should have 2 positive 1 negative and the one left over will go to the pump
the way it works the ECU puts out a positive signal to the relay coil the other side of the coil is earthed.
then there will/should be another positive running from the battery to the relay contact point and the wire left over on the other side of the relay contact point will/should go to the fuel pump
you can try looking at the relay on the side or top and it will tell you the pins function the coil of wire is the electro magnet and the other 2 are the switch just put a wire across the switch points on the relay and the pump should start if you have voltage at the switch points on the relay and the pump is connected to the relay points and is working
this wire info is from vn/vp but the same should apply to your car aswell

Attachments

• vn_efi_wiring_diagram.jpg
    vn_efi_wiring_diagram.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 17,852
  • 808_wiring_diagrams_00011.jpg
    808_wiring_diagrams_00011.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 5,106
Last edited:

vhsle350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E
Hey mate I have a '98 series 3 statesman with same problem not starting on petrol but have tested everything and found it has fuel pressure and spark but no injector pulse on gas or petrol. It has the tartarini ecu also. The gas ecu is only meant to cut injector pulse when it switches to gas. Mine will start and run if i spray aerostart into the intake. Have been driving it like this for the last 2 months! Am at the point now where its really shitting me but havent had the time to investigate and have a proper go. Im going to go and see the guy who installed the gas in the morning to see if he has any answers as ive tried another gas ecu from wreckers but still no start. If all else fails im going to cut the gas ecu out of harness and re-wire efi harnes, hopefully i will have it running on petrol then and be able to determine that it is the gas ecu thats faulty. If not i think it will be an engine harness issue and i will just replace that coz they are cheap enough to not spend the time tracing problems.
Just a question for you, what is your fuel economy like on gas? And is your system sequential or single point? Mine is single point.

vhsle350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E
I endend up deleting gas ecu out of harness and problem solved. Starts first go every go but gas doesnt work anymore. Not a problem for me as it goes better and has about same or better fuel economy.