Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring in a iPod/iPhone charger

mattyb220992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
I want to wire in an iPod charger under my console. I want to do this DIY. an iPod charger has 4 wires; Power, Ground, Data+ and Data-. I was wondering would the charger work if I connected the Power and Ground cords to the Power and Ground cords that run to my cigarette lighter?
I'm thinking about just trying for myself but kind of don't want to lose a charger off of a guess, if anyone knows if it'll work it'd be much aprreciated.
Thanks.

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Short answer, no.

The Four wires you are talking about make it sound like your talking about the cable to the iPod Dock connector. Older iPods, before the days of iPhone, could charge from 12volts, but I am unsure about newer iPods and iPhones. Either way, it required a different cable to your normal USB cable. A normal iPod/iPhone charger will use 5volts. Also, newer iPods/iPhones are picky about their voltage and also need a certain voltage on the data lines to enable charging.

Easiest way would be to find an iPhone/iPod car charger that will work with your devices, and hard wire it in behind your dash somewhere. This would involve just connecting the two input wires for the charger, as you suggested, to the wires going to you cigarette lighter. The center pin for the cigarette plug is the 12v positive, and the outside "tangs" are the negative/0volts.

If how ever you are looking at something more complicated, there are designs around on the internet for this. for instance: Low-Power Car/Bike USB Charger

mattyb220992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Short answer, no.

The Four wires you are talking about make it sound like your talking about the cable to the iPod Dock connector. Older iPods, before the days of iPhone, could charge from 12volts, but I am unsure about newer iPods and iPhones. Either way, it required a different cable to your normal USB cable. A normal iPod/iPhone charger will use 5volts. Also, newer iPods/iPhones are picky about their voltage and also need a certain voltage on the data lines to enable charging.

Easiest way would be to find an iPhone/iPod car charger that will work with your devices, and hard wire it in behind your dash somewhere. This would involve just connecting the two input wires for the charger, as you suggested, to the wires going to you cigarette lighter. The center pin for the cigarette plug is the 12v positive, and the outside "tangs" are the negative/0volts.

If how ever you are looking at something more complicated, there are designs around on the internet for this. for instance: Low-Power Car/Bike USB Charger

Before I read your post today I stripped the center of the ground and power wires going to my cigarette lighter and attached the ones on the iPod cord, and yer my iPod responded by lighting the screen up but didn't charge and my iPhone had no response.
Would I just buy an iPhone car charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter, take it apart and wire it into the spot where I tried to wire the cord into today?

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah just grab a ciggy lighter charger and take it apart and hard wire it to ur ciggy 12v

Center of plug is pos outer is neg, make sure u still use the fuse that is inside the plug

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Before I read your post today I stripped the center of the ground and power wires going to my cigarette lighter and attached the ones on the iPod cord, and yer my iPod responded by lighting the screen up but didn't charge and my iPhone had no response.
Would I just buy an iPhone car charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter, take it apart and wire it into the spot where I tried to wire the cord into today?

That seems dangeous... do they both still charge properly? if i understood that correctly you just hooked up 12v to what should be 5v.

Yeah just grab a ciggy lighter charger and take it apart and hard wire it to ur ciggy 12v

Center of plug is pos outer is neg, make sure u still use the fuse that is inside the plug

what he said... especially about the fuse.

mattyb220992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Sorry about the late replies all. Yeh I did what he said about the hardwiring and it worked. But that doesn't even matter anymore considering my neighbor has backed into my car and it's now written off. Yippeee.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
hey im looking to do this to my ute in the centre console where the ciggy bit is. ive already bought a $5 car ipod charger off ebay and just opened it up to find the fuse sits right where yeah the centre spring plus is, so i was just wondering should i get one of these: 12v Female Car Cigarette Lighter Socket/Plug/Connector | eBay and wire it in all under the console with the lead poking out or should i try to find an inline fuse holder and just wire it to the appropriate wires? thanks for any positive info

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
u could just wire a blade fuse inline with the wire that goes to the positive, just have to be the same amp rating

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
ohk and could i pick up one of them from dicksmiths or something? on the charger itself it says max 1A but i dunno how to find out the fuse rating??

writeoff

0 to 100... eventually
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Not exactly related but is it possible to run a multi plug USB dock off a single connection to the ciggy lighter? So I can charge my GPS and iPhone off there.