Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Connecting a device to car aerial

kyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE CALAIS V
Is there any way to use a splitter so I can connect my pocket TV to the external aerial of the car ?

I have a VE Calais V series I

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Yes, a normal splitter for tv will work. But you will probably find that due to multi-paths the reception is below par.

That's why they put those big ugly things on our roofs instead of a nice little whip.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Um unless it's a TV antenna it probably won't work due to different frequencies.

kyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE CALAIS V
Yes it is for a TV.. i dont want to replace the antenna I just want to connect the antenna out of my TV to the antenna of the car.

I would also like to consider the possibility of using wifi through it..

Where can I get access to the cars antenna cable to put a splitter in ? I assume it would be near the radio center console somewhere ?

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Err it won't work. Plain and simple.

kyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE CALAIS V
What wouldn't ? getting access to the antenna cable ? Using a splitter ? Getting signal quality for digital TV ?

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Err for one the antenna is designed for a completely different range of frequencies and two you will experience all sort's of issues splitting it ranging from interference or even blowing up the units themselves.

kyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE CALAIS V
Err for one the antenna is designed for a completely different range of frequencies
That doesn't matter it will still receive digital TV signals. Antennas pick up a very wide range of frequencies. I live in the suburbs of a capital city so it doesn't need to be the strongest signal..

two you will experience all sort's of issues splitting it ranging from interference or even blowing up the units themselves.
Interference from what ? The devices connected to the antenna receive only, ie the radio.. it does not transmit. How could it possibly blow up the unit ?

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sigh. I really can't be bothered to explain to you the fundamentals of radio stuff. Do some research and you will find why. Or some one can hopefully explain it to you in layman's terms.

kyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE CALAIS V
You don't need to explain anything as from your posts it is clear you don't really understand even the basics let alone fundamentals. I already know the fundamentals of electromagnetic waves and the different antenna types.. A cars antenna is perfectly capable of picking up a good quality TV signal.. end of story. If you know just a very little about the subject you might be confused into thinking that there are different antennas for different frequencies and different signal strengths and that is correct but a basic antenna like the one found on a car is able to pick up the digital TV radio spectrum.

My question is "Does anybody know physically where i can most easily tap into the cars antenna cable connection ?"