Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ign Module test VN V8

SGM5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV5000
SV5000 not starting. Replaced old coil, new plugs and leads. Tested power into ign module and shows 12.55 vlts to ign module. However on test out of module power on shows 0.04 vlts. Tested power at coil and getting no volts at postive terminal. I gather the ign module is stuffed???? Any help would be appreciated.

SGM5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV5000
Ok I now have 12.45 volts to coil and out of coil. However still 0.04 out of module. Car is still not starting. Fuel pump is priming and I can smell the fuel. I also clamped off fuel rail outlet and pressure doesnt seem to be the problem either. I checked the fuel filter the other day and its fine with petrol spewing out when priming. Plugs get spark but not very strong. I also can here a click coming from the relays when turning the ign on?? Help???

stuntmanmike

Car wotsit & stuff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 V6 Auto / VS BT1 5.0 / VY SV8
Howdy. It could be either your ignition module or distributor or both. I have found on my 304s that when the distributor (or ignition module) cacks itself then the ignition module (or distributor) will be cacked or on the way out very soon.
The last time this happended was when I found out the ignition module cacked and I couldn't start the engine. Had all the symptoms you have listed too. Replaced the ignition module when this happened and presto: Engine ran great. a few weeks later the distributor cacked and I replaced that too: Engine ran great again when this was done.
I hope that this solves your problem and all comes good for you. These ignition gremlins can be pesky and frustrating. Best of luck.

SGM5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV5000
Thanks for that I will chase up the module tomorrow and then follow up with the distributor. I will put the results on here for future use if anyone has the same dramas. cheers Shane

TIDYVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/e
how did ya go mate? i can tell you how you can test the module and the dizzy from the wiring at the ignition module

SGM5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV5000
Put in a new coil and new module and it wouldnt start. Still had spark which was poor. Put in a new set of plugs and she started up and now starts up first go. It had a slight miss last night but started it this morning and its back to normal and idling perfectly.