Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Expressions of Interest: Digital PIN code ignition system

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
I have developed a digital PIN code ignition system for my VP commodore which removes the key start from the equation completely, after i discovered just how easily it is to start a VP at least, without the key.

Out of interest, is there any demand for such a product out there?

The system uses the wires from the back of the ignition barrel and relocates them to another area of the car meaning even if they force the barrel they have nothing to work with.

For anyone concerned about the steering lock, the key can still be used to unlock the steering wheel as normal, it just won't control any other functions.

The system is in final prototyping and alpha testing phase and due to begin beta tests on a VP next week, not sure about the ignition wiring set ups on newer model cars though.

Anyone interested?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Are you using all black wires so they can't just be hot wired from the key pad?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
I had a genuine 1-bit digital ignition combination lock on the HQ back in the mid 80's.
Turn the key to "on" then poke the wire that was tied around the the gear lever into the cig lighter socket :)
Found the car pushed down the bottom of the street one morning when some would-be thieves couldn't start it.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
The keypad will essentially be a black box with a ribbon cable leading to a 12 key number pad and 4 cables coming out the other end, 12v, acc, ign and start. If someone was to smash the keypad in they would find a useless ribbon cable. The wires coming out of the box could be any colour, at this stage they're all yellow, however they do rely on the factory wiring loom so to prevent someone hot-wiring it would be up to the installers ability to conceal the factory loom.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Id probably be up for it.. Care to give me a price and some specs on it?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
id be up for it but i wouldnt want it on the dash out in the open, might look slightly wankish on an older car. maybe hidden in the centre console or something...

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
id be up for it but i wouldnt want it on the dash out in the open, might look slightly wankish on an older car. maybe hidden in the centre console or something...

The "black box" can be located anywhere in the car, you could have it in your boot if you had enough wire as for the keypad would be connected via a ribbon cable that can be cut to size, so likewise, you can locate it virtually anywhere you want.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Id probably be up for it.. Care to give me a price and some specs on it?

I can't give you exact prices yet, it's still in prototype phase and I haven't got a costing from the manufacturer yet, though it will probably be in the order of $70 to $100 a unit? As far as specs: It has a toggle acc switch so you can listen to the radio etc, 4 digit pin code ign, and push button start which is live for 5 seconds after putting in the correct pin, so as to prevent firing the starter accidentally. To stop the car simply flick the acc switch to the off position.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
I can't give you exact prices yet, it's still in prototype phase and I haven't got a costing from the manufacturer yet, though it will probably be in the order of $70 to $100 a unit? As far as specs: It has a toggle acc switch so you can listen to the radio etc, 4 digit pin code ign, and push button start which is live for 5 seconds after putting in the correct pin, so as to prevent firing the starter accidentally. To stop the car simply flick the acc switch to the off position.

That sounds perfect.. IT could be something you can hide in say the centre console, flip the lid and there is the kit. I like it..

Let me know when you're ready to sell.. any idea on time?