Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SSz HIDs High and Low Beams

leigh.dovile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Commodore
Hey guys ive got a VZ SSz and i have had HIDs in the low beams for about 2 years now and have had no problems at all. Ive looked through the different threads on HIDs and havent found info yet.

Yesterday I put HIDs in the high beams for all the driving i do on country roads etc and they worked great yesterday and tonight. Then i unlocked my car to drive home and when i did it the low beams turned on then the drivers side light straight away turned off then the fog lights turned on very dim even though they were in the off position. When i turned to turn the high beams on only the passenger side came on and when i turned the fog lights on again only the passenger side came on and the drivers side went out.

So pretty much all lights on the drivers side arent working except for the parker and blinker.

Seems strange that the fog lights are on very dim even when off and then when i turn them on the drivers side one goes out....

if anyone has any information that would be great. Ive checked over the new HIDs i put in and everything seems fine. I even changed over the ballest with spares i had and still the same result.

any ideas??

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
Sorry mate sounds like youve hooked up something wrong....Im running HID in both hi and low and never had an issue such or even similiar to this

leigh.dovile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Commodore
thats what i thought, yet why would everything have worked perfectly for the first day and a bit?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
It has to be an earth problem surely? Check the earths on the HID ballasts and on all the other lights... I am assuming 'fog lights' and 'high beam' are not the same thing though.. if you didnt fit HIDs in the fog lights and its them that are doing funny things, then obviously something aint right. Maybe a wire is wrongly connected but if it didnt do it yesterday its most likely a bad earth.

I've found with HID's sometimes one just doesnt turn on.. but that is always fixed by simply turning them off and on again. Never had one play up once its on though.