Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Crewman aircon and fuel gauge.

wongi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ X6 Crewman
I Need Help.I attempted to install driving lights and doing so have damaged something that relates to the aicon and the fuel gauge.have taken to the dealer,diagnostic test($66.00)no fault showing.Taken to auto elect< scan shows alll OK.recom take back to dealer to investigate further.($230).taken back to dealer.Replaced BCM, new Key ($497.00).Fault not fixed,cannot refund on new BCM as non refundable.recomend take to auto elec for further investigation... now $800.00 down and no joy. can anybody help? the fuel gauge tells me there is low fuel,and the aircon switch works relay,but the thermal fan comes on.

wongi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ X6 Crewman
not sure which wire,I downloaded wiring diagram for VZ driving lights but did not connect the negitive earth on the lights but connected them to the headlight switching wire (blue).auto elec has tested but now needs wiring diagram to test further,thought it could be as simple as an earth as the fault seems related,not happy with the dealer as the automatically trace to bcm just replace it and fault still not fixed.first time Ive paid for something and got nothing.

mr031

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Yeah thats the problem with electrical problems on cars, generally dealers arnt very good, i had a late model toyota that got water damaged from a detailer and toyota fitted a new immoboliser and wired up it wrong charged the customer 2500.00 didnt fix it and had to get us to figure it out lol.

I would trace your steps unplug your driving lights and clean all the earth points near where you worked on. check your alternator charge rate aswell.

wongi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ X6 Crewman
thanks I'll try but three times to auto elec.should have come up with the problem.

mr031

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
yeah you would think so. I would check any connector plugs for damaged/bent or even burnt connectors? long shot, if you have replaced all the big things its going to be something small

wongi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ X6 Crewman
Thanks for advice,Holden have sent vehicle to another auto elec.has traced fault to ecu.now Im up for some big bucks.

ryan_kurtz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs
Problem solved.

Hi
I am the Auto Electrician that diagnosed this car. This car was brought to me after Holden fitting a BCM and not fixing the problem. Also it was sent to my old place of work and punted back to holden with them saying they had the info on the car and appropriate diagnostics. pffft. I am a tradesman less than a year out of my trade. My boss has gone on holidays for a month of which he is smack bang in the middle of. I checked the basics on this car so not to get caught. like anyone would. I then put the car on a bosch KTS scan tool. as far as the scan tool was concerned the compressor was engaged and the a/c cut relay wasn't enaged. The condensor fan would engage but that was it. My boss came down (during his holidays) and checked a/c transducers and such as he had a vz manual from a bosch course he attended. All inputs for the a/c to work were confirmed and correct amount of gas charged to system. I then sourced diagrams for the car (including holden. which may has well been in japanese). I traced the wire back to the ECU in the top plug and could engage the compressor with my testlight. I then went on to the fuel gauge. i traced this at the rear right wheel inside the inner plastic guard. I had a 5v reference to the sender and traced the wire back to the ECU that had 2.7v. I then metered this wire while adding fuel and watching the voltage change. I also researched threads on this (in my own time) and came accross someone that had a fault where when the a/c was turned on the fuel gauge would read empty. rectified by ECU replacement. I then came to the conclusion that the ECU was at fault. After much careful research. I suspect that this fault may have been caused by leaning on the plug on the top of the ECU (located on top of the engine near battery) whilst working on the car. Possibly damaging the bond wires inside the ECU. Also to add i noticed that after being at another auto electrician and him "fixing" the driving lights. There is still scotchlocks on the back of the headlight. I will be calling the customer in the morning to have a chat. But i have nothing to hide about this job and believe i did the best i could considering the circumstances. Oh yeah Holden called me this morning. ECU fixed the problem. Also i believe holden are paying for our work on this vehicle. Not 100% sure though.