Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom window switches

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi,
I have a Berlina with the power window switches in the console. I hate them being there, its the wrong place for them. I'd like to move them and install a couple cup holders.

In the process of moving them, I am thinking.. do they have to be these switches? I prefer switches on the doors... so heres the question..

If I source a set of modern backlit door switches, including the master switches for the driver, from a modern car, how hard are they going to be to wire up?

I would use the whole switchpanel, probably finish up with custom fibreglass door trims as a result too as the switches would be in the door handle, but the wiring is obviously not going to just plug in.

attachment.php

Will it be as simple as finding which wires connect to where? or is it more involved than that, like maybe being a part of the BCM as well?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
from the factory switches only a pair of 2 wires need to enter each front door, in which the polarity is reversed by the switch depending on up/down. if you want the front 2 switches in the doors, then you will need to run an extra 2 new wires into passenger (positive/negative). and an extra 8 wires into the drivers door if you wanted master switches there, make sure the switches you get are normally grounded, i can forsee you having issues running that many heavy gauge wires into the door properly

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
^^ apart from all that, it's just a matter of getting the wiring correct

I have the vy switch block in my vs, I didn't like the original vs ones. If u don't use the ash try, u can find switches to fit into there, that way u don't have to change the wiring too much

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thanks, not a bad thought. My main aim though is that I actually would prefer the switches on the door, much easier to reach. Of course, that means I have to add one to the passenger door as well since they wont be able to reach the main panel anymore.

I'll look into what gauge wiring I need, and just how bulky a full set would be. I accept that may be a problem, certainly needs checking on. I have a Kia Cerato parked outside with these kind of switches, might have to take a look at the loom tomorrow..

Mind you, that brings up another problem.. I assume the Kia windows are lighter, the motors are probably less powerful which may mean the wiring is a different gauge? And I wonder if the switches are capable of handling more load?

No idea which switches I would use, the google image I showed is off a Kia Rio, but anything of that style would do. The narrower the switchblock is the better though, since I am going to have to make something on the door to fit them into... probably a whole new fibreglass doorskin, and to make it easy, I might use the donor cars door handles as well, since the switches will be fitted into them already.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
other thing you could look into is running multiple relays (no sure how many - I would have to sit down and work it out) to switch the main load, and only require much thinner gauge wires run into the drivers door for the master switches ;) you will also get less voltage drop doing it this way.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
again, nice thought. I'll look into that, thanks.