Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

UHF Antenna - Location and type

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
Hey guys

Those that go on cruises would know how great it is to run UHF radios. Not only for a bit of in car chatter but for a safety point of view as well.

I bought a hand held which is 2w and I have to say its great for the 4-5 cars in front and behind me but certainly not the 2km it suggested.

So, I was thinking of installing a 5w. I know I can buy a 5w handheld and for decent money these days but thought it might be better to get a 5w installed unit.

My question is where would you put an antenna on a VE and what type. I have a little stubby aerial at present so would want something similar to match. I'm also thinking it would be great if it could be something I could remove as required.

Look forward to your ideas.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Not much choice if you want it removable. As mentioned above probably a magnetic base aerial.

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys. I guess from removable I meant unscrewing the antenna and 'plugging' it when not reqd

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I swear there was a thread exactly the same not more then a month ago.

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Really.. My bad I'll do a search. Didn't even think to on this topic

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's fine I will help you anyway. Your best bet honestly would be hand helds. About 2 km's line of site with the 5 watts. More if your lucky. Will be all you need.

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Was just thinking I might get a better reception and price and not have to worry about batteries by doing an in car unit.

That said we are looking at a group through our club for a 5w uniden unit for less than $250. Perhaps I should just stick with that

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can get an antenna that fits the same way as a mobile phone antenna, sticks to the glass.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
A decent UHF is around the $300 mark. Unit cost of course. Then about hm $140 odd for the antenna. Then whatever else for the install. If your going long distance driving then sure it's handy. But just for convoy scenarios why bother going to all the hassle. Not to mention you can recharge most handhelds using your 12 volt power socket (or cigarette lighter).