Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing LED fotwell lights

baby-wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commdore 2000 olympic edition
Hey everybody!

I just received a reel of LED lights to put inside my car... I was hoping they would come with some form of instructions... but no...
Here is the ebay link...

5M 300LED Strip Light 3528 SMD Red Waterproof 12V | eBay

I know i definitely want to put them in the front footwells and maybe put a strip of them under the back seat... and maybe a strip in the boot :D .. but im not sure yet!!

So all I want to know is how do i wire them into my car?
The reel has come with a small amout of black and red wire already attatched, but when I cut the strip, how do i re wire it?
also what am i supposed to wire them to to make them work?
please tell me that this isnt going to be as hard as i imagine.... lol

thanks in advance :D

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
I'd link ya but I'm on my iPhone. Do a quick search mate. There is a how to on installing footwell lights and I know it's good as I used it myself

baby-wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey
i just did a bit of a search... it didnt really answer all my questions...
so im guessing the black wire is the earth? and I have to wire the red one into that white (?) cord that is attatched to the knob thing that knows when the door is open and shut...
sorry i dont know the name!! :)

And since I can cut the LED strip if i need to.. how do i attach more wire to it? the strip is covered by plastic gel stuff to protect it all...

sorry to be a pain...

baby-wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
I cant find any threads that answer my questions...
I just went out and got all the stuff i need to wire it up and I really want to get started I just need someone to help me understand how to do it...
all i need to know is where to attatch the cords, how to rewire the strip once i cut it and if i need to attatch a fuse or anything...

please help... :)

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Ok...... i done this last week, I ran it off my rear dome light (not sure if you have this) but if you can than there are only 2 wires. If not you will need to work out what is what before you get started.. i can't help there. The fuse you will not need as there is already one for the dome lights so it wont be a problem.

Also i dont believe you can cut the strip up mate.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Some strips will have a where to cut line marked...usually after ever third led?
And I solder my wires on the terminals on the strip

baby-wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah it can be cut every 3rd LED i think... I only have one roof light, if that is what you mean...
I measured it all out and the strip isnt long enough to go where i want it without cutting it up... so would i be able to cut the strip and just connect them later with wire...? would that work?
that way i only have to wire it to a power source once...
I want to attatch a switch to it but I also want it to come on when my interior light is on.. is it possible to have both or do i have to choose either the switch or the light?
ok so had a quick look... for the switch all i would have to do is go from the battery, to a switch, then from the switch to the lights? would i need to earth it anywhere?

thanks heaps guys :)

Last edited:

baby-wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so i have been doing some research... i think i know what i need to do... mostly... if someone could just tell me if im on the right track...?

so i will start by cutting the LED's to the lengths i need and then join all the cut up bits with wire...
and then just attatch the positive and negative wires onto the roof light wires...
so if i understand correct... that is it? and when i open my doors/unlock my car the LED's will come on?

next i will want to add a switch... either an on/off or an on/off/on.. depending on what i can find...
so this is where i get confused... when i wired up the switch for my fog lights... i went from the lights to the switch, and from the switch to the battery... and just earthed each light to the front bumper...
do i follow the same method?
LED's to switch, switch to battery.. do i need an earth? or do i need to attatch any other wires to the switch?
GAH! lol i have searched everywhere and cannot find anything to help me understand this...
please help... i want to finish this project today! lol

Some541

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
If you wire into your roof lights.. You dont really need a switch cause whenever you use the switch for ur roof light the LED's will turn on.