Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Actuator piggy backing

snaz45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hi Guys,

I want to piggy back off the VY passenger front door central locking actuator, so that when it opens, it also powers another actuator.

Now I used a circuit tester and tested the wires coming off the actuator. On the Brown/Orange, the door locked, and on the brown/red it unlocked, thus I assumed these were the 2 wires to piggy back off, however after connecting it all up, there is no movement. I have 2 slave actuators with 2 wires and 2 with 5 wires. Does the actuators need a constant power supply?

It there another way I could wire it up so it works?

Thanks.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
How many wires go to the factory actuator?

And how many wires do the new actuators have coming out of them? What's their wiring diagram say?

And what are they for? :p

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
It is probably better if you use a couple of relays instead, what are the actuators for? Basically you will need 2 relays which have an 87a terminal, you then have the lock trigger wire go to the 85 terminal on one relay and the unlock trigger goes to the 85 terminal of the second relay. Next run a fused power wire to the 87 terminal on both relays, then have terminals 86 and 87a going to ground. Then run the 2 wires from your actuator to the 30 terminals on the relay.

snaz45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
????, the factory actuator has about 6 wires going to it, and all i get out of the wiring diagram is colours which are for installing a new system, so no help for me, Just colors, no other instructions.

The actuators are are for my hard lid, to act as a locking mechanism for it.

and what does the relays thing mean? (i'm not following you with all the acronyms and the numbers)

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Lol look up 12v relay on google and have a read of how they work. They are commonly used when wiring up spotlight. Most relays have 4 or 5 terminals on them and are usually labled as these numbers 85, 86, 30, 87 & 87a. When you put power to pin 85 and an earth to 86 this activates a switch inside the relay making a connection between pin 30 & pin 87, but when there is no power to pin 85 the there is now a connection from pin 30 to pin 87a. Now the actuator which has 2 wires needs a power on one wire and earth on the other wire to actuate one direction but needs to reverse the polarity to actuate the other direction. So basically what i said before is needed for this to work. Hope that makes sence lol

snaz45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Now i sort of get it...when you say 'fused power wire', do you mean a wire to connect to positive on the battery, or do you mean a wire connecting the 2 relays?

cheers

snaz45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Fantasic work, thanks mate....unfortunately jaycar isnt open sundays. I will have to get them during the week.

Thanks again. I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

snaz45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Alright, well I connected it all like you said, however it still aint working. There is a further development tho. If its all connected and I lock the doors, then the horn beeps 2-3 times, but no movement in the new actuators (door ones work fine). Could my problem be the wires I have attached them too from the door? If so, how would I find the correct ones?

Cheers guys.