Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN kicking but not starting

holden_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive 3.8V6 M5
I've done an engine swap from a 93 VR to my VN. Ive hit a hiccup. Car will kick over when you turn the ignition but there is no fuel, no spark, no power to my dash or to my stereo. I've put the thing back together the exact way it was before i did the swap, now ive been to alot of different people and explained my problem and a few have said the same thing if the computer isnt in use for a few months they go into a sleep mode or something and need rebooting, I just need to know do these ecu's ever do shut down after no use or is there some other reason to my problem that im looking in the wrong place for? I just need some sort of idea before i call a sparky.

I have put a post up previously about this problem but i have now worked out the area it is in. well i hope so someone please help.

holden_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive 3.8V6 M5
also ive run a tester to all wires from the ecu to the battery and it seems the ecu gets power but nothing seems to go further than that

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
there is really no difference between disconnecting the ECU for 10 mins or 10 years.

but if your not getting power to the stereo, dash etc, you've got more problems than an ECU - I'd be checking earths, main fuses etc.

holden_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive 3.8V6 M5
ive checked it all only power im not getting through a fuse is the fuel pump and relay. things starting to give me the shits lol

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Check all the earths, mine did this when the two black wires near my coil weren't earthed correctly

holden_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive 3.8V6 M5
all good found out that i need to install a factory immoboliser back in the car simple problem. some dumbass that put the last motor in my car bypassed it. since i put a VR V6 in apparently they need to run with an immoboliser. but for safe keeping ill recheck the earths n make sure so thanks =)