Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burnt B+ wire

meathook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS SERIES 2
Hi Guys,
I was changing over to a new alternator last night and the B+ wire was burnt and you can see where it has been arcing out through the nut. What is the best way to fix this? Is it an auto sparky job or can I do it at home? If I can do it at home what is the best way? I'm getting conflicting ways to do it from friends, one says to run an wire from the alt to the starter and theother guy says run it straight from the alt to the positive battery terminal. I have a 2000 VTII LS1 with the 140 amp alternator. If you can help thanks in advance.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Guess what the B in "B+" stands for ... _attery :idea3:

Generally most cars are wired ALT+----------Starter+--------Batt+ because it's an easy hookup for those big cables. That's the other story.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
this happened on my VX SS but also fried the wires... i just got some new larger wire and ran that to the battery and ive never had trouble since. its not a hard job at all with the right tools ie terminals soldering iron and crimper