Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mounting amp power fuse

Hibbo_Jnr

Livin' the minute...
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT S-Pack
I'm installing my amp and sub and wondering how i go about mounting the heatproof fuse case in the engine bay. I have come off the battery across the back of the enigine bay and down the passenger side of the car. How and where do i mount the fuse holder. A mate said to screw it onto the passenger side strut tower. Need some help with where to mount it and whether to screw it?
Cheers

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
You need the fuse as close as possible to the battery, otherwise all of the wire between the battery and the fuse may catch on fire. If that wire is running right around your engine bay, that will cause a lot of trouble. The shorter, the better. The fuse on the wire is not to protect your system, it is to protect your car from going up in flames if the wire is overloaded and catches on fire.

Here is an example from Sweefu's VY build, although the pictures are from another forum he is a regular on:
2011-08-09151409.jpg

2011-08-09151343.jpg

2011-08-09160546.jpg

2011-08-09160537.jpg

2011-08-09160557.jpg

It is bolted onto the front of the cruise control module, right above the battery in the engine bay. This is much safer, as the distance of wiring between the battery and fuse is minimal.

Hibbo_Jnr

Livin' the minute...
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT S-Pack
That looks like a sweet idea mate. Do you just strip the wires and poke them into the fuse and tighten? What is the red stuff on it before it enters the fuse? Cheers.
Edit: I had a closer look and can see its just red tape.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Sweefu is very innovative!

Yeah, strip the wires back so that there is plenty of coverage to the fuse holder insert, poke it in and tighten as much as possible. The tape/heatshrink (it appears he ran out of heatshrink after one wire) is there to tidy it up, to make sure that the bare wire isn't exposed if he stripped too much and to make sure that no loose strands of wire are hanging out here and there.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Or you can use the proper crimp terminals. Either or really.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wasn't intended to be a smart ass comment . I was talking about the ring terminals you often get in the amp wiring kits :) I found with the roads up here just shoving in the wire led to it pulling out over time. The ring terminals however worked well. OP either way will work fine for your purpose.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Unfortunately can't use a ring terminal with the fuse holders I have (Aerpro), as they are the grub screw type. I understand what you mean about coming loose, but no worries so far over 80 000km in two cars.

Was that what you were talking about?

EDIT @ MAG00 - yep ran out of heatshrink big enough haha.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Duh. I looked at the pictures 3 times and it didn't click. Sorry.