Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BCM security code for key

VS Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series 2
Went to holden with my VIN number to get a new key cut and programmed as i lost my only one and apparently they don't have the code for my BCM?? i got a key cut with the key number but can't un-immobilise it without the electrical part of the key... Anywhere other than holden can get my BCM security code with my VIN number?? PLEASE HELP!!!

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
If holden dont have it, your best bet, and cheapest alternative, is to get a new BCM and matching keyhead secondhand on ebay and swap out the keyblade you just had cut. Waste of a keyhead though... I guess you can get it programmed to the new BCM and have it as a spare. What car do you have?

VS Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series 2
yea thanks mate,, don't know why holden have every number for my car other than the one to program the key tho,, cheers :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Holden dealers who have a tech 1 scantool can program a new keyfob to your car, and they dont need the security code to do so... The tech 1 gives 2 options for programming new keyfobs, 1- if you want an "all new" setup with the new ignition keyfob, or 2 -if you you just want to add an extra new keyfob so youve then got more than 1 ignition key for the car. With option 2, when just adding an extra new key, the tech 1 will program the new keyfob to your BCM without asking for any security code. If you press the fist one, the "all new" option, the tech 1 asks for the vehicles security code first before programming the new keyfob. Holden dealers can usually access this security code for your car through TIS2WEB using your vin..
I got hold of my code for my vs a few years back when I got a holden dealer to program a new keyfob for me, before I got my own tech 1, and the young guy wrote down my vin, and came back with a 6 digit security code to program the new key with. He didnt even seem to know what he was doing really, I dont think he even needed the security code in the end, I think he just added it as an extra new key, as the old keys I had still worked after he was finished.
The tech 1 will also show how many new keyfobs have been programmed to your car since it was new. I think there must be a limit of 5, because my car used to say it was on its 5th key, and I just recently bought another new keyfob from ebay for $50, and when I programmed it, the key number reset back to 1. I wondered if this would stop my old spare keys from allowing the car to start, and when I tried them, all the the old keys still work.
I havent tried programming a new keyfob with the "all new" menu yet, as I wanted to keep my old keys as spares, because even though they are dead flat as far as the remote unlocking etc goes, you can still use them to manually unlock the door and they will still allow the immobiliser to switch off so the car can start. This is because once these keys have been programmed, this cant be erased or changed, even when the battery goes flat, it always stays programmed to the car it was originally programmed for.
I think the menu option for "all new" keyfob programming would be mainly used where the ignition keys have been stolen/lost, as this option leaves any previously programmed keyfobs useless.

Last edited: