Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Vision Camera Interference

Peter Norman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This question is not about wiring, but about wireless. I purchased a 2.4ghz wireless rear-vision camera system ... camera mounted on back of caravan powered from the caravan tail-lights circuit; display unit mounted on VE Berlina dash powered via cig lighter socket. The image is full of interference. If I remove the monitor from the car, the picture quality improves. Could the in-car interference be caused by the in-car Blue Tooth kit? Anybody had this problem and solved it? Cheers, Peter

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Bluetooth runs on the license free 2.405 ghz range so could certainly cause interference. Also, I think you're pushing the range of the device to it's limits, if you consider it has to travel through 2 walls of the caravan and the car itself. This makes it much more susceptible to noise and interference in the signal. Is it specifically designed for caravans/longer range?

Peter Norman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yogi_b ... thanks. The range is advertised as up to 80 metres. I have moved the transmitter aerial a couple of times. Initially it was mounted on the inside back wall of the 'van. I moved it to the outside ... it fitted snugly inside the RHS direction indicator assembly (i.e weather-proof). I have not yet tried to position for direct line-of-sight. What I will do next is temporarily mount it on external RHS of 'van as see what happens. This will be at the week-end at the earliest ... I will let you know. Cheers, Peter

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
the wireless reverse camera setups are pretty hopeless. i'm yet to see one that is not full of interference, even hooked up on a Honda Jazz (about 2 metres between receiver and camera)

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
yep ive installed a couple of those wireless type cameras at work and both times there was heaps of interference so i just used the cable in the kit that connects the camera to the screen. your better off buying a decent kit which comes with plugs so you can wire it to your caravan.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
The advertised range is often the theoretical range that the antenna and not very often a good indicator of the actual range. With the amount of noise created by an engine and all the wiring that runs around a car it would be veeeery difficult to shield the signal from all that interference. I agree with the others in the idea to extend the cable and cable tie it alongside the trailer wiring :-/

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Ha! 80m in waveguide perhaps.

That band is also so full of crap, you are pushing it uphill.....

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Me too tried a wireless one, too much interferance, got a cable one good as gold

Dazz

Peter Norman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks to all who responded. This is what I did. As usual I hooked up the caravan to the VE and got the same interfence as before. I then moved the combo until I had clear line of sight from transmitter aerial to monitor screen, and got the same interfence as before. I then parked my wife's car (Astra) in front of the VE and moved the camera display unit to the Astra, getting no interference and good pictures when I did not have line of sight. (the Astra doesn't have Bluetooth). What I am going to do next is remove the whole wireless system from the VE/caravan and install it on the Astra ... my wife has trouble backing the Astra anyway, so she'll be happy. I will then install a wired system in the VE, with two cameras, one on back of car and the other on back of caravan. Why go to all this trouble? I am in my 60s and can't turn my neck around as well as I could in my FX when I was 18. So the cameras make things a bit easier. Thanks guys for all the good advice. Cheers, Peter Norman