Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Headlight and indicator issue.

chezz69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Gday guys, I have a 98 VT Acclaim and im having some issues with my lights.

I was driving the other night and when I flicked my headlights on, i realised that my left indicator was on solid aswell. Also when driving without my lights on, when i use the left indicator, the park light globes flash with the indicator as well as the instrument panel lights and the gear select light.

Any ideas what could cause this?
Hoping its something easy like just changing a globe or fuse.

Cheers in advance.
Chezz

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
It sounds almost as if the lights are on the wrong relay/circuit, has anyone played with your wiring?

chezz69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Nah mate, last electrical i had done was over a year ago and that was jus putting in a sound system. I pulled the park light relay and that fixed the issue of indicator coming on when headlights turned on, but didn't fix the blinking lights. think ive gotta some pretty messed up electrical crap goin on

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
I'd hazard a guess that somewhere in the system the park light circuit is connected to the indicator circuit. When the indicator is flicked on and the relay switches the park light circuit is then grounded which triggers the parkers to flash, along with the associated dash lights that come on when you turn your lights on.

Same with the left hazard light being on the headlight circuit.

Check over your wiring, right down to the plug on the headlights themselves. To me this entire issue seems to be concentrated to your front lights or your fuse/relay panels.

If you can't find where these circuits seem to be connected then you'll need to take it to an auto-elec.

chezz69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
or if you have a trailer plug check the wiring in that.

Wow axemurderer you are a genius!! pulled the trailer plug apart and the left indicator wire was floating round loose.... who would have thought that something so simple could case all that!!!

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
When you say loose, was it coming in contact with any other wiring? If not, how the hell does a loose connection cause all of that.. :\

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
bad earth to left park/ ind light it lights the other but not quie\te as bright as normal. this is because the ind/park is using the other to complte the circuit