Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project VH

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey guys just to bring you up to speed quickly first im in the process of building a V6 VH commodore, V6 being from a VN s1 car togeather with the trans and the full front to back wiring loom.
It also has a few other bits and bobs and not to mention a VR dash conversion too, im having trouble with two parts of the build both being with the dash.
Q.1. I am wanting to keep the VH heater to same having to chop up the frame to the dash with running the VR unit so as i have the VR dash in place i would like to connect the VR fan switch to the VH heater fan. The VH fan has five wires being Black (earth i take it), grey (should be lights) orange,tan and yellow.
With the power on orange, yellow and tan all have +, and all three run from the switch to the heater
With the VR switch from the diagram the switch run four wires yellow,tan and violet for 1st, 2nd and 3rd speed running ti the resistorsthen the fan then there is a green wire for 4th speed running to a relay.
So to make a long story short i wish to find out how to connect the VR fan switch to the VH fan wiring to make it work.
Q.2. Can someone tell me what each of the wires running from the rear of the Deister switch are too as i can get the switch to work but can not get it to light up with the lights on the car.
The connector has seven wires on it from top there is Black/Dul red, Pink/Black, Grey/Black, second row - (two wires) 1/ Black/dul red & Black/ bright red, Black, Brown/white.
If anyone could shed light on these two questions that would be great and feel free to check the build out in the VB-VK section on street commodores site under the name"Project VH" or also look in this site for project VH cheers guys

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have both factory books so I can shed some light on some issues The vh setup has a Brown wire to fan motor directly is 12v ign/acc feed from fuse 7 and it is run direct to the + side of the fan motor connector .From the negative side of the connector a orange wire running from motor is the run to the resistor but also is run to the switch.Tan and yellow wires are the low and meduim speed resistor returns wires that are earthed through the black wire at the switch when the speeds are selected. Orange wire is also earthed at the switch to provide the high fan speed when selected by directly switching the orange wire straight to earth.
IMG-2.jpg

On vr its circuit has a earth run directly to the motor and the switch puts resistors etc in the circuit by putting them in the positive part of the motor circuit.From fuse 9 a pink/white wire runs directly to the switch and the 12v goes through the resistors when selected.The Yellow Tan and Violet wires go to the resistor pack to be put in circuit when desired to provide the speeds all except the high one.
To provide the high speed the fan speed control switch operates a the coil of a relay(under the bonnet) that switches a straight 12v feed to the motor on a violet/yellow wire .
The 12v power feed that is switched through the relay is from a fuseable link on a red wire.
At a glance you will need to use the vr resistor pack to get all 4 speeds to work since the vh one only has 3 and run a extra wire from switch to it too.
At the switch the old vh orange wire in the loom is now connected to where the old violet/yellow wire was on the switch.The old vh black wire should be connected to where the vr pink/white was on the switch and the vh yellow and tan wires go to where their same colours used to be on the vr unit.That extra wire runs from where the violet wire was on the switch to where the violet wire was on the vr resistor pack Im assuming the relay is needed on the vr for high speed as the vr switch contacts cant take the high current of the motor running flat out so you need to have fan terminal that had the light green wire on the vr needs it to operate a relay to switch the vh orange wire to earth to get the high speed.
Lighting circuit for demister switch uses a grey switched 12v from fuse 9 on vh and black is a earth.
Vr runs a brown/white wire switched 12v to the demister switch for lighting it and black is earthed.
So grey vh wire to where the brown/white was on vr switch and black vh wire to where the old black vr one was on the switch.

Last edited:

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hi there Markovr thanks for looking at my questions i get the demistor part and the fan switches i just want to double check with ya before i hook it all up. Now the Orange VH wire joins the Violet/ Yellow VR wire
the Black VH wire joins the Pink/white VR wire
the Tan VH wire joins the Tan VR wire
and the Yellow VH wire joins the Yellow VR wire
I take it the gey VH wire was the illumination wire for the switch
Now is there another way i can do this without using the VR resistor, or if i do need to run it do i mount it into a box of some sort or something.
Also if i hook the forth speed wire (light green) to the VH orange will this give me the same top speed on both 3 and 4 on the VR switch?
Maybe it would be great if you are able to do a diagram of how it should look if ya dont mind as then this will read a bit better to me,lol
In the long run im just after an easy install for this and are not fussed if i end up with only three speeds and the 4th speed is same as third, how ever this goes thanks again for the help cheers

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Heres the wiring drawing of the 2 different factory setups
fandiff3a.jpg

Here are 2 setups using a vr fan switch (only has 3 speeds as speed 3 and high are joined)it will work but not sure if contacts can take it ..second one using a relay (assuming the reason the vr uses a relay is to save the fan speed switch contacts)
fandiff4.jpg

i do have a ulterior motive for helping you as i am in the process of putting a v6 into my vh and might need a few pointers on some things im not sure of...electrics are no problem as im a electrician by trade so i can read a wiring diagram

Last edited: