Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter motor Wiring

Doeboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman 5ltr
Hi guys I bought a new starter motor for my vc put it in wired it up the way it was before I took out the old one and it won't start I now have 2 wires running from starter motor to a toggle switch to start it, it kicks over but I want it back to the way it was

Doeboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman 5ltr
Can someone help me out here at all

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
3 wires go to the starter motor.One heavy black wire that runs from battery positive terminal to the big stud terminal on the starter motor.Under the same terminal on the starter is a smaller 150 cm black wire that is a fusible link that is joined straight to a red wire that runs in corrogated conduit along the back of the firewal to a 3 terminal connector and then through the fiewall and then to feed all the electrics inside the car.This connector was a source of trouble in time and often went open circuit and many people cut out this connection and joined the wire in a barrel lug.
In the same 3 terminal connector is a purple wire that runs to the spade terminal on the starter.It is the starter solenoid wire and it originates from the ignition switch under the steering shroud so when you turn the key 12v is sent to the starter solenoid to pull it in and inside the starter a big contact is made to connect the heavy cable to the starter motor to put 12v on the windings. Inside the starter motor the solenoid when it is pulled in also moves the small gear up to mesh with the engine flywheel to turn the motor over.
The switch you have extra must doing what the purple wire should be doing due to a fault in it somewhere.

winter jean

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
Hi guys I bought a new starter motor for my vc put it in wired it up the way it was before I took out the old one and it won't start I now have 2 wires running from starter motor to a toggle switch to start it, it kicks over but I want it back to the way it was
What ones are the right wires negative positive