Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blower will not turn off

slr5000efi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Gen F clubsport and 2015 vf ssv redline ute.
with my vt just happened today cannot turn off blower at all even with key turned off or turning swtich just keeps blowing air at full speed is the fan resister need to be replaced.I had to pull out fuse under bonnet to turn off blower any ideas???:hmmm::hmmm:

slr5000efi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Gen F clubsport and 2015 vf ssv redline ute.
is the high speed relay in the box under the bonnet in the fuse box
think there is a high speed relay, this could be staying latched on.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
yes the fan resistor needs replacing

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
think there is a high speed relay, this could be staying latched on.

I concur. Sounds like the blower fan high speed relay has stuck/welded/shorted contacts. If it is anything like my old VN (the circuits are virtually identical), I had one terminal on my blower fan high speed relay that would always overheat, melting the relay terminal base & the actual relay itself. It's possible the same has happened in this case. An easy way to check is to simply pull out the relay, to see if the fan stops. If so, then carefully check for evidence of contact overheating and replace the relay. If the fans still runs at the highest speed, then look for a short to earth in the blower fan negative lead.

BTW, changing the blower fan resistor block will probably not achieve anything (unless it just happens to have internally shorted to earth on the fan negative lead), as it is completely bypassed by the blower fan high speed relay when the highest fan speed is selected. An easy way to check for this, is to diconnect the connector from the resistor block, and see if the fault still exists.

Last edited: