Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent WL Caprice Starting Issue

Laurence-d

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL V6 Caprice
Hey guys,

Have a 2005 WL Caprice, Black with Beige leather with a really frustrating starting problem.
The car doesn't seem to want to recognise that the key has been inserted in the car, when you turn the key to the point just before starting to get all the electrics and warning lights etc. well this doesn't always happen, turn the key and the dash stays dark, no lights, nothing. Then sometimes when it does decide to work, as soon as you move the gear selector, the car dies, everything goes off, and its back from scratch.
It used to be that if the car was in sunlight or it had just been driven the problem was very rare, or if it was cold and raining then getting the car started would sometimes take 10 minutes.
But now no matter how hot it is or even if you just drove it 5 minutes ago, the problem is worse than ever.
I've had the car to various auto electricians, none of them have a clue, I've had a Holden dealership run all their computer tests and nothing comes up.

It's a real shame because once it gets going it really is a fantastic car, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, will try anything!

Cheers,

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Just a guess but maybe a dodgy ignition switch.

Laurence-d

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL V6 Caprice
Just a guess but maybe a dodgy ignition switch.

Cheers mate just remembered about this, got it all fixed ages ago, thought I might post in case anyone has the same issue, it was a faulty relay that was causing the problem, the part cost about $25.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Cheers mate just remembered about this, got it all fixed ages ago, thought I might post in case anyone has the same issue, it was a faulty relay that was causing the problem, the part cost about $25.

And the auto elect and Holden couldn't pick that up?
Seems to me that if a car doesn't put up a fault code, they don't know how to fix it.
Gone are the good 'ol days when they got their hands dirty.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..

Just out of curiosity, which relay was it?

Laurence-d

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL V6 Caprice
Problem was found by one of the veteran mechanics at the dealership, not sure which relay it was, but he knew exactly what to look for.