Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp stopped working, not getting power

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Ok so the other day I was driving home, and it was raining so to skip the details, I ended up having a bit of a slip n slide & spun out on a vacant corner of a new building site (away from everyone, this place doesn't even have gutters yet) & I didn't hit anything, just sort of spun and braked.

Now, after I drove off, I noticed my sub wasn't on (I have it wired to a switch which turns my amp on, thus powering my sub, but the switch was still on, just no sub) so that was a few days ago, and today I thought I'd see what the go was. The way it's wired up is like this:

9amqz9.png

And my amp is just basically Ground to bolt on the inside of my rear 1/4, wire 1 to sub, wire 2 to sub, and that's it, oh and the thick cables that lead to the back of the head unit.

I disconnected the + wire on the switch, and the + on the amp, and ran a wire outside my car from the + switch to the + amp to see if it was that wire, but I still get no power to the amp even with a new wire between positives. The switch gets power, though, because it has an LED that turns on when the switch is getting power/on.

Any ideas anyone? The amp isn't screwed down so it's possible it slid a bit hard, but it's never ever cut out like that, even when I'm cornering at speeds or going over speed bumps or whatever, and it's between the side of the boot and the sub, and the sub isn't going anywhere so the amp couldn't slide enough to do damage.

Cheers guys/gals

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
internal fuse blown? or fuse on the amp power run wire?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
From the looks of it, it was installed without any fuse between the amp and the switch (I only put the switch in, someone else has installed the sub and amp before I got the car) but the on the amp, small 20 fuse, is still intact. I might replace it and see, otherwise I guess the amp's f-cked

fully_carver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
what i would with every thing turned on use a test light conected to the earth on the amp or boddy of the amp test battery wire and remote wire it is this will rule out bad earth and may tell you witch wire is at falt. if you get no falure there i would check wireing to the sub from the amp. i had a simmalar poblem once and it turend out hat the main battery fuse to the amp was slightly dammaged wich light up a test light put not enough powerr to run the amp. if this dosnt help next i would swap the amp with a mate and see if the problem follows if the problem still stays with you rewire the amp and sub and screw down the amp esspecaly if you are doing skids, if it starts working and your mates car stops there is a problem with the amp, if boath cars work it was probaly a dirty conection.
hope this helps