Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse Lights shorting?

Kieranj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Wagon S2
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could help me with this one:
Some of my globes (rear indicators brakes and reverse in a VS II Wagon) were weaker than others, so I replaced the weak ones, and it stopped the stronger ones working, so I replaced all of them with new globes, now both indicators and brake lights work, but the reverse lights don't work at all. Its also caused a short, where any time I brake (even with no lights on in the day), my parkers and dash lights illuminate. Can someone tell me what ive stuffed up? Cheers

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
you have the wrong brake globes, change them to a dual filament one. reverse lights cound be a simple fuse or faulty switch.

Andy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Can someone tell me what ive stuffed up?

First, when you bought the bulbs, were they single filiment or double? (Does it have one wire inside it or two)?
Next. If it only has one wire, you need to buy the ones with the two wires. the base of the globe will have a double oval connection on it (It looks like ()() ) these are commenly known as Stop/Tail lights. These go in the break light socket.
Next you will need a packet of single filiment bulbs for your reversing lights. these will serve as the white lights in the rear of your car. These are commenly known as indicator lights (as they can be used in both the Blinkers AND the reversing lights.) The same light globes will service the front end of your car as well in regards to the indicators.

Please Please PLEASE don't touch the accual globe head with your bare fingers. This causes a 'Hot Spot' that will make them superheat and eventually blow prematurarly. Wear a set of cotten gloves or use a 100% cotten cloth. POLY CLOTH WILL NOT SUFFICE

If that doesn't fix the issue then a auto electrical shop might be worth a look.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
First, when you bought the bulbs, were they single filiment or double? (Does it have one wire inside it or two)?
Next. If it only has one wire, you need to buy the ones with the two wires. the base of the globe will have a double oval connection on it (It looks like ()() ) these are commenly known as Stop/Tail lights. These go in the break light socket.
Next you will need a packet of single filiment bulbs for your reversing lights. these will serve as the white lights in the rear of your car. These are commenly known as indicator lights (as they can be used in both the Blinkers AND the reversing lights.) The same light globes will service the front end of your car as well in regards to the indicators.

Please Please PLEASE don't touch the accual globe head with your bare fingers. This causes a 'Hot Spot' that will make them superheat and eventually blow prematurarly. Wear a set of cotten gloves or use a 100% cotten cloth. POLY CLOTH WILL NOT SUFFICE

If that doesn't fix the issue then a auto electrical shop might be worth a look.

I think that is mainly for the "H" series globes (H1, H3, H4, H9, H11, etc). The normal globes should be fine.

Kieranj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Wagon S2
Thanks a heap guys, went out this morning and checked them all, had a couple of globes in the wrong place, fixed it all up, turned the engine on and hey presto, all lights working with no shorts. Cheers for explaining it axemurderer and andy.