Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering column ignition wire location

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
I am wanting to install my neon lights under the seats to come on with the ignition (1999 VT Executive Series 2).

I want to tap into the ignition wire located in/under/around the steering column (unless there is an ignition wire located closer to the drivers seat(this is where I will be putting the kill switch for the lights)

After a good 3 hours of research I have only come to the conclusion that the wire is coloured Pink&Black OR just Pink.

Can anyone confirm this with pictures or a diagram...or better yet a better way of installing the lights to come on with the ignition.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
just go to the cigarette lighter in the centre console.

if you want to connect it to the ignition switch - it is a plain pink wire, come out of the back of the ignition switch. just make sure you connect an inline fuse.

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
By ignition switch do you mean the actual switch that the key goes into?

Can I tap into the ignition wire somewhere else such as from the Body Control Module?

Would it be either of these 2 pink wires in the photo I took?
20111210_001.jpg

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
there is a brown globe plug taped up behind ur ECU on the left side kick panel. just use that it'll b all plug and play if u add the right connections. Its the same as wat the higher end models use 4 their footwell lighting so it runs on a timer and the interior lights.

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
Thanks but I was looking to have the lights come on with my ignition...like the radio.

I'm installing a 2 DIN head deck soon, I was thinking of running off the ignition wire for the radio, would there be anything stopping me doing that?.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Na the Acc+ wire should b fine, if ur not using ur remote wire off ur head unit 2 power amps u can even use that, wouldnt hurt 2 put an inline fuse in it tho so it doesnt knock the lot out if somthing does short out.

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
Thanks!

Yeah the neons I bought have a switch & in-line fuse so all good there! :D

I shall embark on using the remote wire tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work. I will post pictures of my progress as well.