Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED Tail lights cause computer fault VY 2003

Lexands VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Hi everyone, i just fitted new LED tail and stop lights to my 2003 VY S pack. When i went for a drive i noticed the traction control was off and i
couldn't turn it back on. I also noticed that i could not activate the cruise control.

I replaced the LED's with the standard globes and problem fixed.

Why does this happen?

Has it happened to anyone else?

Can i do something so that the LED's wont do this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
the cruise control and ABS both need a brake light input. when not activated they check for an earth circuit through the globe. and LED globe does not have a sufficient circuit to show this earth.

easiest way would be to fit an LED load resistor to simulate the load. fit between earth and brake light wire.

Lexands VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Thanks, but......

THanks for your help, but do you know what size or resistance resistor i would need? and do i need one for each side/globe?

Do i put the resistor across the power and earth lead or cut the earth lead and join the resistor in-line with the earth lead?

Thanks.

easiest way would be to fit an LED load resistor to simulate the load. fit between earth and brake light wire.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
across power and earth. needs to be 6ohm, 50 watt. any auto parts shop should have them with their LED trailer lights.

just one on one side will do the job.

Lexands VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Further help with LED tail light problem

Hey everyone, here is a reply that i got the other day. While it sounds like it might be a fix for my problem i am wondering if it will cause a short circuit in my brake or tail lights?

Does anyone have a suggested wiring diagram or picture of how i should do this?

The cruise control and ABS both need a brake light input. when not activated they check for an earth circuit through the globe. and LED globe does not have a sufficient circuit to show this earth.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Will this create a short circuit?

Mate, he's given you free advice. The most it'll cost is 50c for a resistor and maybe a fuse if there's a ~6 ohm "short circuit".

Wiring diagram would be superfluous.

Live a little and give it a go.

Lexands VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Thanks everyone - i got a LED load resistor from Autobarn for $12 = problem fixed.

colin-commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
could you post a pic up of how you wired it up? same problem with my 05 vz
cheers

oniix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7
I had the same problem after following the installation instructions which wired the resistor into the BROWN TAIL LIGHT wire (VY SS). I also tried every possible solution on these forums using the light bulb and different variations.
In the end i got everything to work fine by wiring the resistor into the brake light wire instead. So the red wire from the resistor attaches to the BLUE brake light positive wire, then earthed the black wire from the resistor to the chassis. FYI: my led tail lights came with a 10 ohm 80 watt resistor in the box.

Traction control & cruise control now work perfectly fine with led lights on.

Hope this helps