Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

main power fuse melted and the main power wire melted in vr commodore

Rhys-VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
GENESIS BLUE VR COMMODORE
hey guys

i just had a issue with the vr once again

the main POWER lead off the wiring loom to the main fuse for the car is melted the wire and the main 60amp power fuse is melted also what would be the cause of this issue

cheers

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
make sure all ya earths are clean and the alternator cable isnt melted at the alternator, id replace the cable going from alternator to the battery and battery to teh main fuse and any other wires that seem melted etc, and cheak all the wireing loom over for bad connections and shorts to chassis (with the positve cable)

also make sure started motor cable aint melted, follow it down from battery to starter moter if suspect replace

dont no if this will help but hope it does mate

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
The only explanation is a short has caused this, Beit from a wire has broken free, or did u have an issue with ur stereo n central locking? U may have shorted a few wires when doin the install?

U'll need to check over ur looms, and as a few said check the back of the alt.

Rhys-VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
well i been having this issue with no power and i thought it was the battery so i charge the battery reconnect the plugs and it would work never thought it was this wire till the other night when it happened and i put my hand in in the dark and burnt my hand due to the wire being so hot so i got home and i put a light on it and its the main power wire from the loom been complety inhalf and the main power fuse melted in and i couldnt get it out

now to the setero i installed the setero but now seen i have a blown fuse meaning setero is wired wrong meaning that could have a issue with that lead whats completly fried,

now i put the multi meter on the wire of the loom and im getting 12volts thru the car from the power lead without the battery connected is that normal?

and yes i think im going to check the alternator

and im rhinking of going to the wrecker and the eletronic joint and getting a new plug and fusebox and im going to new plug it and re wire it all but do i do that yet or will i frie again?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Start by replacing the parts that r cooked, new fuses and relays if affected. Remove ur stereo, and any wires u touched with the install and see if it all returns to normal.

Rhys-VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
i changed the setero fuse going to re wire the setero and going to re wire the fuse box and i see how that goes if it happens again ill be stumped as ive checked the whole loom in the engine bay no cuts or wires touching anything that would short to cause this issue so im stumped how its happened