Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Foglamps, if you have factory fitted ones. Please Read

silviadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Hey there guys..

long story short I copped a yellow sticker for my car being "too low" and so im preparing it for the pits this week.. Been through this crap before so I know what to expect..

however, the factory foglights are worrying me. I live in Perth and I havnt known foglamps to operate like this and unsure if this may cause an issue when taking my car over. This is what happens

Park lights on: Foglamps off - Only Parks come on as expected
Park lights on: Foglamps on - Park/Low/High beam and fogs come on.
Low beam on: Foglamps off - As expected you only have low beam
High Beam on: Foglamps off - Park/Low/High beam and fogs come on.
High Beam on: Foglamps on - Park/Low/High beam and fogs come on.

so basically if you press the foglamp button you get everything, you're able to have low beam only but you cant have high beam without fogs.

Hope this makes sense.. is this normal for a VX SS? The wiring at the switch, headlights and foglamps looks untouched. Im just worried they will knock me back for not being able to turn the foglamps off when highbeam is on.

I removed the relays one at a time to see if I can isolate the issue. Heres what happened

Remove Foglamp relay -
result
Lowbeam works
Highbeam works
No Fog on high beam
Press foglamp button and will turn on high beams only

Remove High Beam Relay -
Result:
On high beam you only get the foglamps on
Foglamp switch on - you only get foglamps no high beam

pulled the relay/fuse box out of the engine bay and cant see anything to suggest wires being cut into or looped into between relays, all looks pretty normal. I could possibly just take out the relay for the foglamps and I wont have them go on at all when I go over the pits, but if he asks for them to operate im screwed.

I have pulled all the tape off the loom and I cant find anything to suggest something has been dodgily done. It all looks factory

If you have Foglamps can you do us a huge favor and see if yours behave the same or if im wasting my time with something that is meant to be like this from factory.

Last edited:

silviadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
something else that is weird that happens..

If you just flick the arm backwards for the high beam, you hear a relay click inside the car. You get the backlights in the cluster turn on. if you back off the arm and put it back on again you dont get the backlights again. If you wait a couple of seconds and try again. The relay clicks again and the backlights come on again. meanwhile im getting a very dull highbeam globe on the cluster.

Myaero4me

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 310rwkw
Far from normal mate, prob got a bad earth or faulty switch.

You could possibly remove the foggies to get through the inspection.