Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ - All dial gauges stuck

millsman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
I have a 2005 VZ Commodore wagon with 140K on the clock. All 4 of the needle/dial gauges have become stuck at some point whilst I was driving yesterday. The temp is at 1/3, the taco at 1,500 rpm, the speedo at 80km/h and the fuel at 3/4.

Here's what I've discovered so far:
- the digital speedo works fine
- disconnecting the battery and reconnecting hasn't fixed it

Does anyone have any ideas on what the possible common fault is that has caused all 4 needle/dial gauges to fail at once, or how I might go about fixing it?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks, Andrew

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
I had a similar situation with my 2003 Statesman. The needles would all either stick where they were, or completely max out. I would turn off the ignition and they would stay there, but reset to zero when I started the car next. It would happen on a regular basis.

I fixed the problem by simply pulling the dash out, disconnecting the wiring loom, and plugging it back in again. Never had the problem again.

millsman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
@statey1975: thanks for the suggestion, but disconnecting the cluster didn't resolve the issue.

I did end up with a solution. The end result is that the instrument cluster needs to be replaced.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
@statey1975: thanks for the suggestion, but disconnecting the cluster didn't resolve the issue.

I did end up with a solution. The end result is that the instrument cluster needs to be replaced.

Sounds like it was getting stuck in Diag mode.