Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BLAH! adavnced auto electrical help, think outside the box

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
SOOOOooooo

this silverado has the tradition stop/flasher tail lights, i.e. the brake lights flash when you put your indicator on. i need it gone, because Mr ADR says they need to be amber.

how do i do it?????? got me stumped.

i can splice into the front turn signals (which are just a straight forward turn signal) and run a wire ALLLLLL the way to the rear of the car (one for each side), but even with all that wasted wire i am still baffled at the idea of how to get rid of the turn signal input from the brake light. in my impala, switching the turn signal on switches off the brake circuit, then just uses a flasher-can pulse in its place. which would mean if the indicator is turned on at the switch, the brake light on that side will stop working

please help!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
this is how they do it in older cars:
turn-signal-wiring-diagram.jpg

the signal gets cut to the rears by the turn signal switch. this will be basically the same but there isnt a flasher can that i can find.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I would re-run the brake signal from the pedal switch and simply disconnect the US rear signal...

As you said, the easiest way to do the front is how you said. Just wire the rears in parallel.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Does the Silverado have a towbar? If so, disconnect the body wiring from the lights and splice into the trailer plug harness for your rear lights.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
oh... I had no idea what a silverado was, my bad. :blah blah:

I wAs thinking it was an old car, & wondering why you posted it here...

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Does the Silverado have a towbar? If so, disconnect the body wiring from the lights and splice into the trailer plug harness for your rear lights.

yeah thought of that too. the bloody plug is also a stop/flasher :(

i was thinking i could make a circuit that requires a small amount of time delay on the signal b4 it activates, so when the flasher goes, it doesnt last long enough to light the brake lights, but then if you hit the brakes, it could be .5 of a second before they come on... which would be a problem.

its looking like a BCM mod is the only way around this.

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
Ari, what about running a wire from the brake switch to a relay with a diode on it (incase of any feedback), then from the relay to the brake lights. Run new wires for the indicators also. Basically creating all new wiring for the tail lights but leaving the factory wiring untouched?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
On my trans am I had to run an extra wire to the indicator switch from ignition on side of fuse box
and cut the brake wire where it entered the indicator switch and came out of indicator switch and join together
if it is not wired directly you could splice into the indicator wires coming out of BCM
or you could simply create a whole new brake light circuit which is a very simple circuit
does silverado have a blown globe detect feature
do you have a wiring diagram for silverado