Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP V6 fan control

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Hi all,

In a VP V6 how is the ECU programmed to turn the fan on, ive got a small problem with mine not wanting to turn the fan on while your moving and in slow moving traffic the temp gradually rises and the fan wont turn itself on unless you stop. Then instantly it switches on when you stop.

Sitting still it works fine, cuts in a little above half then out again above a quarter on the gauge. Car doesnt overheat or anything, when the fan doesnt turn on i just flick the overide switch but every now and then i forget to look at the gauge and its getting a little hot.
Any Ideas?

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
There's a speed setting that the fan will cut out at in the memcal. I don't recall what it is at the moment.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
There's a speed setting that the fan will cut out at in the memcal. I don't recall what it is at the moment.

Ok cool, maybe my conversion speed sensor is telling the ECM its going faster then it is?
Speeds greater then about 50km/h its sweet, but i would still think that it might kick it in before it stops? even if youre only crawling along.

Had fiddle with the ray gun today, seems to kick in about 90c (which is half on the gauge) then out again about 85c. sounds right?

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
In my vr the fan only kicks in when it shows half way when it cuts in when you are stopped is because it has been setup by someone that your brake light switch is acting as another override switch when the brake lights come on the fan activates