Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedo not working after dash conversion

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Lexcen (VP Commodore) wagon
Hey all,

I recently did a dash conversion in my vp to that of a vr...problem is that now my speedo doesn't work along with the fuel and temp gauges.

The trip meter and odometer have also failed.

I'm using the original wiring loom as well as the original instrument cluster so there shouldn't be any problems there and the plugs that go into the back of the cluster weren't cut or modified in any way. The tacho works though which is a relief 'cause I can guess my speed off that.

I can't see any noticeable breaks in the circuitry behind the cluster and the little plug that goes into the speedo is connected.

So my question is: has anyone done the conversion before, have you come across the same problem or one like it and if so, how did you fix it?

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
How can you be doing a conversion and still use the original cluster?

If you put a vr cluster in its going to need re wiring the vn/vp clusters can be swapped but not vr/vp as the wiring was changed around you can either waste time with a sparky and have it all rewirred or you can get the right cluster

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Check that your plugs are in order and up the correct way. If you have the plugs upside down things fail.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
How can you be doing a conversion and still use the original cluster?

If you put a vr cluster in its going to need re wiring the vn/vp clusters can be swapped but not vr/vp as the wiring was changed around you can either waste time with a sparky and have it all rewirred or you can get the right cluster

I think all the OP has done is change the dash pad not the cluster.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Then it has to be a wiring fault if nothing is working

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I just changed the dash pad and kept the original cluster as they're the same right the way through to vs... except for some that don't have a tacho. Mine does, however, and so I was able to keep it.

88GreenVN, when I was putting the plugs back into their places in the dash, they just sort of fitted in naturally one way so I can only assume that they were the right way up. I'll have a look tomorrow arvo though, just to be sure. Thanks for the advice.

heathysydm, not everything isn't working, the tacho works fine. And having done all my own wiring of lights and radios along with some of my brother's, and had them working, I know enough about electrics to do my connections properly so I doubt it's a problem with my wiring technique. However, I have been wrong in the past

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Orange on the left side, blue middle and orange on the out side.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah but only a tacho isn't much good but something isn't adding up it might be the ecu try resetting that as well

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah but only a tacho isn't much good but something isn't adding up it might be the ecu try resetting that as well

The clusters altho have heaps of wires can go belly up on just 1 plug being around the wrong way.

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I have the colours in the right places but I'll fiddle with the plugs tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know.