Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr manual ecu

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
Hi so im putting a ecotec motor into my vr commodore and iv heard i can run the ecotec off the vr computer (factory manual) il be putting the t5 manual box from the vr behind the ecotec so im wondering if i could use the VR V6 manual computer and wiring harness to run the ecotec i know its needs to be changed from a map sensor to maf would this happen in a memcal re tune?? also what else needs to be done for it to run good or would it just be cheaper and easyer to buy this off ebay. im just considering buying this kit as it has the performance tune and rev limiter bumped up. but id do it the other way if it works out cheaper and easyer in the long run.. cheers any help would be appreciated.

Holden Commodore VS V6 auto to T5 manual conversion kit | eBay

ALSO i know its been covered but im completely confused because iv been told the flywheel needs to be balanced but also been told it doesnt because its been done before and some people said its impossible to run ecotec off vr ecu since completely diff motors etc etc so just thought i would post this to see what anyone else has to say that could help

Last edited:

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Someone corrert me if Im wrong but cant you wire up the trans loom so the computer always thinks its in neutral.

A memcal cant make you go maffless.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Try searching next time there is a post in here about vr -vs engine conversion and if it's right your going to need the vs harness as the upgraded engine needs more wires for certain sensors also get the manual gearbox wiring

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
And Jonah if the vs and vr is anything like my old ford you can pull out the automatic computer altogether but you will need a auto sparky to wire up the reverse and neutral switch

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try searching next time there is a post in here about vr -vs engine conversion and if it's right your going to need the vs harness as the upgraded engine needs more wires for certain sensors also get the manual gearbox wiring

Like i said iv searched heaps and keep getting all different storys what i am looking for is someone that has done this conversion before and gives me a straight forward answer on what needs to be cut and rewired or re programmeed or what works and what doesnt etc etc.. because alot of people have said alot of different things thats why i thought id post it so yeh

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Make it easy on yourself and run a VS computer/BCM and engine harness.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Make it easy on yourself and run a VS computer/BCM and engine harness.

If i use the vs engine loom and computer i figure out i can just extend the 2 plugs that are at the brake booster and they will connect straight up to the vr plugs at the battery... all i gotter do is cut the yellow plug off and wire it up to the vr body harness so it will plug straight into the vs auto engine loom.. they are the same color and i looked it up in the manual and i think i they all function the same thing in the vs connections but i might be looking at the wrong wires...

jonvaupel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
Hi, my worker has just done this same conversion and had problems, we worked out that you will need to use your VR wiring loom and ECU, you will need to switch out all the sensors and Injectors using all the VR equipment on the ecotech engine. You DO NOT have re balance your flywheel unless you have modified the flywheel as they are all balanced from the factory, some high performance racers will balance the flywheel and crank together out of the engine as an added measure but this is not necessary for what you are doing.
However another problem with fitting the eco motor is that the VR headers will not fit the eco motor so you must use the eco exhaust manifolds creating a whole new set of problems because your VR exhaust is completely different to the eco exhaust and you may have to look at using the front half of the eco exhaust on the VR as well. I hope this helps. - Jon.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was just looking through the threads and there are 2 how tos for this situation as far as ecotec engine and manual gearbox concerned

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi, my worker has just done this same conversion and had problems, we worked out that you will need to use your VR wiring loom and ECU, you will need to switch out all the sensors and Injectors using all the VR equipment on the ecotech engine. You DO NOT have re balance your flywheel unless you have modified the flywheel as they are all balanced from the factory, some high performance racers will balance the flywheel and crank together out of the engine as an added measure but this is not necessary for what you are doing.
However another problem with fitting the eco motor is that the VR headers will not fit the eco motor so you must use the eco exhaust manifolds creating a whole new set of problems because your VR exhaust is completely different to the eco exhaust and you may have to look at using the front half of the eco exhaust on the VR as well. I hope this helps. - Jon.

yeh i know it needs all the stuff off the ecotec i have a donor car for all that so including exhaust etc etc. it doesnt matter now im gonna buy a vs manual computer off ebay and use that. i hope i have it figured out will let everyone knows how it goes and if i have any problems. thanks for the help guys appreciate it