Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 5.0 into vs v6 ute wiring

Launer

launer
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg maloo
Hey fellas just wondering if anyone has done a vn v8 into vs v6 I hav just done mine and it's all running
Fine it's just bringing up the knock sensor fault code and it doesnt have a knock sensor I have made the
Dummie harnesses that go from down near the battery and up to the brake booster just wondering if
Anyone else has done this conversion and could maybe let me no wot they did plz fellas these little things just starting frustrate me lol oh and the speedo as the vn ones come through the floor and the vs one
Was in the engine loom cheers fellas

jonvaupel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
Hi Launer, Firstly when you got this engine did the engine, wiring loom and ECU all come from the same vehicle or is it a mix match, the reason I ask this is that the VN HSVs used a knock sensor on the V8, it was screwed into the water drain plug on the right hand side of the block behind the engine mount down near the sump, the reason I know this is that I just built a new high performance vn v8 for my Caprice and I chose a HSV 205i chip for my stock ECU but to use this chip I had to install a knock sensor and run a wire up to the computer and clip it into the computer harness plug in the footwell. This pin location can vary depending on your model. VN all models is B11, VR & VS series 1&2 manual is B11, VR & VS series 1&2 auto is D5, VS series 3 manual and auto is C12, VT all models is also C12.
What I would do if I were you would be to take your knock sensor of your V6, as they are all the same V8 and V6, install it onto your V8, cut the knock sensor plug and single wire of your old V6 wiring loom, add some extra wire to this single wire and clip it into the computer harness plug at the ECU as listed above. The benefit of this is that you will be able to run some extra advance without the worries of pinging. Hope this helps - Jon.

Launer

launer
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg maloo
Hey Jon thanks heaps for that but I have recently found out that the ppl that had the donor car bfore me had put a hsv memcal in it but hadn't worried about fitting the knock sensor and the computer just
Thinks there is a problem with the knock sensor wiring but it's actually not there and instead of doing
Something about the engine light being on they just took the globe out of the dash real smart ay lol so I have been in contact with doctor rob who specializes in memcals and has told me he can program me a
New memcal that will fix this and then there is no need to fit a knock sensor he is great if you have any
Trouble like this his website is Rob's Creative Calibrations he has got wiring diagrams for most
Models on there too which I found really helpful thanks tho Jon that would have been great

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I wouldn't trust rob he has a bit of a bad rep with non delivery. Pm either The1, nicefrog on ebay or Mace Engineering.

Launer

launer
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg maloo
There is one other thing The speedo isant working properly I wired it into the vs dash but it just cuts in and out every
Now and then but usually just sits on zero any ideas wot this could be do I have to run a v8 dash