Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twin battery setup

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Hey all

Just wondering what sort of wiring I should use to link the 2 batteries.. the plan is to have a D34 yellowtop in the rear, and a standard in the front (possibly a D34 in the front one day depending on the bank..)..

It will have a healthy audio system (couple of amps) wired onto the rear battery, plus the option of a fridge or something one day if I take it camping..

I currently have a roll of 4 gauge sitting here, but not sure if it is enough for the load from the alternator (keeping it charged/transferring charge from one to the other)..

If anyone can shed some light onto it it would be great (as to if I should just use the 4 gauge or upgrade to some bigger stuff)

Cheers

VKC

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I wouldn't be using 4 guage. What vehicle will you be putting it in?

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gotta love paint :p

Basically, like this (except front battery is connected to the ground. haha. Musta saved before that. lol)

BATTERY.jpg

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
How often will you be running the fridge? Just a single upgraded battery should be ok if your not camping for an entire weekend or something.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Question, Do you have to run the batteries connected to each other? could you not have a wire running off the alternator to the rear battery to charge it and save the rear battery just for sounds and fridge?

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Question, Do you have to run the batteries connected to each other? could you not have a wire running off the alternator to the rear battery to charge it and save the rear battery just for sounds and fridge?

With most proper dual battery set-ups the second battery shares the charge with the first.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Why don't you use a 4WD type dual battery kit, them you get everything you need and you know it'll work. Projector & Red Arc both make good ones.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
With most proper dual battery set-ups the second battery shares the charge with the first.

Sweet as, was just an idea I thought up a while ago and wondered if it would work.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
How often will you be running the fridge? Just a single upgraded battery should be ok if your not camping for an entire weekend or something.
Fridge will be very rare, it will be an if, not a when.. Id just like to have the extra power there if I need it, or even if I want to run the stereo or something when im camping.. only problem I see with the projecta kit is I have to have the ignition on to have the stereo on, which will link the 2 up..
That would still connect the front to rear, as the alternator goes to the front one..
Why don't you use a 4WD type dual battery kit, them you get everything you need and you know it'll work. Projector & Red Arc both make good ones.

You reckon just a DBC150? http://www.projecta.com.au/Images/PDFs/Power-Management/Power-Management.pdf

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would just try a better battery first and go from there. If it doesn't work out then by all means go dual battery. It can be a pain running cables etc for dual batteries.