Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH dash cluster question

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey guys and gals, Im in the middle of building a VH with VN V6 and auto as well as the full VN looms in her, I was going to mix in to the dash the VN cluster but now have thought of making it look like the original dash cluster only change it to be all electrical guages. My question is i take it that the VH cluster with speedo, tacho, temp, fuel, oil and volts and the speedo is the only guage in it that needs cable to drive it.
Now if this is correct i was thinking to get a 90mm electric speedo to mate with the VN auto and leave the othe guages in and just wire to the VN stuff, then remove the VH lights from the centre of the cluster and add the VN ones to have the right warings then it should look stock.
Any help with this guys and is there any reason this may not work cheers

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I installed a VDO electronic speedo in my VH cluster.
Works great. Really no need to use the VN warning lights. Only extra light you need is the check engine light. I just hooked up a red LED next to the speedo for a check engine light. Keeps it all looking close to stock

63545d1241346562-82-vh-ss-interior5.jpg

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Cheers mate might just be the answer, what set up are you running?

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I'm doing the same as Darren. I'm also going to try get a VDO tachometer so they look the same. I'm also thinking of putting the a globe for the check engine light behind the Holden badge on the cluster

Daniel
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Sorry mate just noticed on the bottom of your thread youre driving a EFI 5L cheers,
Has anyone got pics of the loom plug that go in the back of the VH dash cluster when i took mine out i must of thrown the looms i had so no not sure how it was before hand, i know i need the electiric loom from the VN box to feed new speedo but the other five guages i think it was a round plug as the back of my cluster has eleven pins in a circle so i guess this is the plug for all the other guages is this correct?????
Also there are two pins next to the oil light socket, one next to the rhs turn signal and one by the volt light are these ment to be connected anyone able to help cheers
Oh sorry also one other thing is there a way to make the holden logo in the middle of the lights panel light up as i would like to make this the engine check light if possible other wise ill just go a LED set up like Darren-L cheers guys.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
dashwiring2.jpg

dashwiring.jpg

30012012035.jpg

those extra pins are for the oil pressure and tacho. i think the next spade terminal close to the centre of the cluster is for low fuel light and there is one spade terminal above the multipin plug for the instrument lights for the grey wire in the picture too

Im going to do the same thing to my cluster and am keen to see how yours turns out...Im a electrician by trade and have all the factory books if you need some help.
You can wire a check engine light into that spot.

Last edited:

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey thanks for helping Markovr, i found out i did throw out that round loom plug so ill track down another. I was looking last night at the wiring diagram in my VH gregorys book and looking at the wiring diagram to the VN dash cluster connectors that plug into the VN cluster and seeing as i have replaced the complete VH loom bar the few wires from the heater switch to be VN loom i need to work out what dash plug wires i need to join into the round VH plug.
So far i think im on the right track looking at both drawings but im not sure on some of the wiring and maybe they wont need to be connected, anyway ill post up what i have so far.

VH round plug Black to VN black Conector 3 direct earth(or con 1 main earth harness)
VH round plug Pink to VN Tan Connector 2 fuel (or con 3 to fuse 9)
VH round plug Violet to VN Blue/Red con 2 oil pressure switch
VH round plug Dark green to VN Green con 2 coolant temp
VH round plug brown to VN brown con 3 alt
VH round plug Tan/Black to VN brown/ white con 1 Brake fail (the book has the vh wire as tan/black where your diagram is tan should be same?)
VH round plug Tan to VN ????? not sure with this one Could be to VN fuel
VH round plug Yellow to VN Yellow con 2 park brake warning ???? i think
VH round plug Dark blue to VN Dark Blue con 2 RH turn signal
VH round plug Light Green to VN Blue/ Yellow con 2 high beam relay
VH round plug Light Blue to VN Light Blue con 1 LH turn signal

In the book ive got the VH Tan / Black wire travels from the cluster to brake fail switch and the Tan wire runs from the cluster to rear loom conector also joining off to connector that joins to the detent solinoid, spark control switch, cold feet switch, vac advance, anti diesiling, electric choke and also runs to the distributor, so im a little stuck there.
Also the other wires from the VN loom
Conector one - Brown/red for tacho [Circut 121]
Pink/black ???????[Circut 39 to fuse 9]
Black/ red for rear demist ( i think this is just a light to say its on so i could run wire back to the stock VH dimsiter light?) [Circut 292]
Brown/ white for Check engine (how can i make the lion badge light up, is it the pin on the back for low fuel on the vh cluster?[Circut 419]
Black X2 earths [Circut 150]

Conector two - Purple / white for new after market speedo [Circut 123]
Orange / white ?????????? [Circut 840 to fuse 1]
Grey for lighting i think to join illumination pin on vh cluster???? [Circut s62 to dimmer]
Brown / white X2 ???????? [Circut 19 to fuse 7]

Conector three - Brown / yellow [Circut 437 to EFI mod]

With my cluster it has the lion logo and the fasten seat belts so i guess one of these on other clusters are the low fuel light and if possible would like to make it light up so is this just as easy as connecting the pin on the back of the cluster for low fuel, hope so, so this is where i am at the moment and once again any help will be much appriciated cheers mate
If you need i have a diagram of the plug wires for the VN cheers again

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
pink black(switched 12v) used for tacho feed and positive feed for idiot lights
orange white (constant 12v) is used to feed positive for high beam idiot light
brown/white is check engine light from ecm(ecm suppies a negative to make it light up)
other brown/white is brake fail lamp negative from switch on brake master cylinder and also from check lamp relay
by the way how did the heater fan motor and switch wiring work out?

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey thanks mate, the heater fan switch idea didnt go ahaed as it was when i was going to have the VR dash in the car but i decided to go back to having the full VH dash in place but thanks heaps for that bit of help.
The wiring for this VH cluster with the VN wiring into it is it possible to draw a diagram of what wires go to what from VH cluster to VN dash loom plugs as looking at a drawing makes more sence to me if that makes sence cheers no rush but.
From your last note then the two pink/ black wires on conector 3 one is to tacho feed and the other to lights or is it the one on con 1,
If i use the orange / white to the pos on the head light light i dont need the blue/ yellow wire and i take it the two brown/ white wires you spoke of is on con 1 cheers again mate

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
looks like the high beam light on a vh has a constant negative fed to it and it is sent a positive 12v by the high beam switch to light it up so it works opposite to the vn that has a permanent positive (on orange/white wire) and is sent a negative from the headlamp relay..makes it a bit tricky.

pink/black on conn 3 terminal 11 is idiot light 12v feed and conn 1 terminal 5 feeds the tacho and also the speedo a switched 12v
brown/white wires are from conn 1 with term 8 for the check eng and term 9 for brake fail.
Also noticed there is a lights on feed on a brown/white wire on conn 2 terminal 6 but you probably wouldnt use that on a vh cluster.

Last edited: