Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Locking Fault?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
firstly ive put this up before but i didnt want to thread dig =P and it has slightly changed.
problem is that the drivers door wont unlock via remote. i can get passengers side to unlock via remote.
i can do it by putting key in manually and it unlocks both doors fine.

with door trim off i was looking at the whole mech working. i could hear the electrics working. but it wouldnt actually unlock the door?
if i assisted the actuator it would work and have all the lights flashing and what not.
so the car does know (through the BCM?) that it is unlocked or not.
eg i unlock by key and drivers door doesnt unlock. indicators dont flash.
then give it assitance and it flashes how most normally do.

ok so ive pulled the door trim off in the VS.
tested each wire from inside cabin to door actuator. to have they all have continuity. and ranging from .1-.3 ohms. which seems fine (may have been milliohms...)
so i doubt its a broken wire.

i have the actuator out right now. any tips on cleaning it to put it back in?
the actuator is about 2-3yrs old and was brand new. so could it possibly have a fault in it and how can i test it?
im thinking of plugging just the actuator in and seeing if it pushes up and down. is that a good way to find a fault in the actuator? (as it has no load as it did need assitance to push up and down. as i could see it trying to move but it didnt go mroe then 1mm max)

and what would you guys say about an actuator from the wreckers (eg pickapart)? and how do i test to make sure it is all working before i take it from there?

thanks in advance

EDIT: read this thread but it hasnt exactly helped...
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/159307-drivers-side-wont-lock-anymore-s.html
for eg how would i check for the voltage?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ok so tested actuator no load its all working. would move but then always centered.
some of the pins int he actual actuator are somehow joined inside.

rehooked everything back up and it seems to be working properly (just no door trim on yet)
ill run a few more tests.

i have no idea what could have caused this?
anyone have any idea? =P

lets hope it continues to work though.
miss being able to use the central locking at places like servos.

Last edited:

TRI570

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
mate my vy does exectly the same thing, only its the passenger front door. so f***ing annoying when i get home late and the alarm goes off coz the door didnt lock but the others did. sorry i cant help with it mate as i have pretty much given up on it.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
mate my vy does exectly the same thing, only its the passenger front door. so f***ing annoying when i get home late and the alarm goes off coz the door didnt lock but the others did. sorry i cant help with it mate as i have pretty much given up on it.

i know what you mean by annoying =P
but yeah its now fixed.
i tested every connection and found nothing wrong. put it back togther and it all worked.
originally thought it was a broken wire, which it wasnt.

also i found that getting a little pick set from autobarn/toolshops to get the little circlip behind the window winder is very helpful.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
same thing has happened again.
just wont work by remote. (drivers side)
indicators dont flash when unlocking (so it knows drivers side isnt unlocked) but locking by remote is does flash (although drivers side doesnt close)

thinking it might be the actuator. as i cannot hear anything when i press remote unlock.
as i doubt its broken wires or whatever (checked last time)
when i tested the actuator last time it worked fine. (putting a multimeter on it pretyt much made it move, afterwards it worked freely on door loom)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
put a NEW actuator in before you have to cut a hole in your doortrim to get your door open

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
put a NEW actuator in before you have to cut a hole in your doortrim to get your door open

maybe. it all works fine other ways. and i have a bench seat so just a simple slide across =P

and after talking to hakhawk *woohoo* he told me some tests to try.
shall try this weekend.
it better work! =P