Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ute battery keeps going flat

elliot.j

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
i have a vs commodore ute and the battery keeps going flat. it is a hard problem to solve because it happens really inconsistently. i have changed the battery, changed the alternator, and it kept going flat every few days, sometimes longer than others. i noticed my tensioner was pretty flogged out so i changed that thinking the belt may be slipping on the alternator, and it was good for about a 6 weeks than this afternoon after driving home from work, it was flat again.

can somebody please give me a few thoughts???? could the starter motor possibly have anything to do with it???

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Have u done a test with a multimeter to make sure your battery is actually charging starter motor is only there for 1 purpose to start the car that's it check to make sure nothing is active after ignition. Off as well

elliot.j

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
is there a test i can do to see if there is anything active after ignition os off?

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Not that I know of your better to check that the alternator is actually charging

bagmanoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
1st in Elec probs.. Check your Earth straps the (neg) battery Leads to both body and engine.. this one's nailed me twice... heheh

You say you changed the Alt. New? Reco? err.... wrecker?

Simplest Alt. test is chk Voltage with voltmeter across Battery poles look for around 13.5-14.5V while engine is running.
If it's less than 13.2 your Alternator/Regulator are top of suspects list.. good luck.
Cheers
Baggus

bagmanoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Battery Drain when off?
Are you running a Doof Doof amp?
Is it powering down properly?

There's always a small current draw when your ignition is off.
should be quite small though..
Radio Memory.. security system. etc.

Simplest test...
grab a 5 amp fuse.
With ignition off doors closed, disconnect battery + and hold one of the fuse's poles on the Battery positive. touch the Battery cable to the other fuse pole and if the fuse heats or blows, you're drawing more than 5 amps .. That's too much..
or
Buy El cheapo Dash Ammeter (Needle sits in the middle and tells you which way the juice is flowing..)
These things have 2 poles.. With ignition off doors closed disconnect battery + and place one of the meter's poles on the Battery positive. touch the Battery cable to the other meter pole and the meter should read less than 1 amp..

If it's drawing more than 1 amp.. something's still connected that shouldn't be..
try removing fuse #1 redo test..
replace fuse 1 remove fuse 2 redo test..

you get the pattern..
good luck :)
Baggus

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Mate, seriously - if you think this might have anything at all to do with your starter motor, you should see an auto electrician.