Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition coil pack to energise high voltage home made motor- UNIQUE PROJECT NEED HELP

Simon79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
I am a newbie looking for some help on an unusual project with ignition coil packs.

What I am trying to do is excite my home made motor with a fast high voltage DC pulse.

To do this I want to use an ignition coil pack that is triggered (earthed) by a 12VDC signal wire using a photoelectric sensor, that is connected to a spark plug via a spark plug lead, where the earthing side of the spark plug is connected to the end of my coil of wire, then to the battery negative pole to earth out.

Hopefully the spark released creates a fast in-rush of current that needs to excite my coil in two milliseconds for 5000rpm. I have seen similar concepts with distributor setups but not coil packs.

Attached is photos of a VN V6 coil pack that looks to be a series 1 pack. Underneath is 6 spade terminals that I need explained exactly what they do. The other image has the wire colours that I need to know exactly what does what.

Can someone specifically tell me exactly how I can create a spark on the plug through the coil pack only connected to a 12VDC battery? The spade ends marked ‘P’ in photo share a common blue wire, suspect 12V supply, and the other three wires are earthed systematically to fire each spark plug?

Any idea on voltage output of the coil pack and volts/amps on the earth side of the spark plug. There is avg of 33ohms resistance in each of 4 wound coils.

Thanks heaps for any information that you can give or direction. I will respond asap
-Simon

wires%20(4).jpg
bottom.jpg
top.jpg