Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Reversing lights not working?

DKSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SII Ute
Hey guys;
Anyone have any ideas as to where to look (fuse or switch) to find out where my reverse lights are failing? Brake lights and indicators work, reverse gear works fine, and reverse selection comes up on the dash fine too. It's a VE SV6 Series II Auto Ute btw.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Sorry for posting twice. bloody internet decided to **** itself -.-, also.. random question (rather then making another thread), does anyone know the minimum thickness of the brake pads before needing a change? couldn't find it in the manuals. cheers :)

Last edited:

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Check the globes first then the fuse in the fuse box

DKSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SII Ute
Globes are fine; and as for the fuse, can't actually find a direct source to the reverse lights. All I can see is a reverse sensor fuse (not fitted anyway) in the fuse box.
Regardless I've run a test light through them all and they're all fine.

DKSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SII Ute
Bit of an update;
I ran through the test light again. All fuses in the main box in the engine bay are fine. I also checked internal fuses (incase the lights ran off something else) on the passenger side, and they are all fine too.
I took off the tail light and ran the test light onto the wires. The green wire (reverse) has no circuit running to the tail light. So I began tracing back, however only managed to get to the inner panel on the ute (also finding NO circuit) before losing the loom as I'm not to sure where it runs to after the rear panel on the ute (maybe have to remove the tub?) and if the color of wire will change after a junction.

So I have no circuit, and I'm suspecting either a short to ground; or an open circuit on the green wire. I doubt it would be an internal short, as there's nothing else irregular about any other component that I've noticed.

I'm now thinking that it may be the reverse switch located around the gearbox; however I'm not too sure how it looks like, nor where to find it. Do any of you guys know where it is so I can test it and at least narrow down where I'm losing the circuit?

Here's a pic:

sxobi9.jpg

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
The reverse switch is on the gearbox somewhere it also has the neutral saftey switch as one been ages since I've dealt with transmissions so good luck

mmcalaisv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Do you have a towbar fitted?
If you do check all the wiring associated with it.
Do the reverse lights work at the trailer plug??

If the dash is displaying then i suspect that the reverse switch is working fine.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
damm! mmcalaisv beat me to it, check your towbar wiring if fitted

Intheblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais L67
Did you find the solution to this mate??

My 08 Senator is doing it and I’m about to burn it