Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retrofitting calais stereo buttons on VS, need wiring help.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hello.

I've been mucking around for a while collecting the parts I need to fit the stereo buttons from a VS calais/statesman on my VS berlina.

I got all the parts.

switches, remote radio module which I am pretty sure I got the correct box, has 2 tabs on each side for screws that hold it on, was below the bcm and it's a black plastic box, not sure why it has some wattages listed on it like 2x55w etc I thought it was for headlights but i could not find any other module and the wire colours seem to be the same on it like the ones on the gregories wiring diagram.

module.jpg

Anyway i wanted to hook it up on the bench before installing it to the car to see if i could get it to work.

I hooked up the factory calais head unit ground and both power wires to get it to turn on.
From the module.

Black wire - directly to battery ground
Brown wire - to brown wire on the head unit, i take it this is for the signal from the module to head unit.
Yellow wire - To power

Yellow/Black wire off module -- Yellow/black wire coming off steering wheel.... this goes through the horn wiring and to the buttons Yellow wire.

The other wire coming off the wheel was a black wire, I grounded this to battery.

Turned head unit on, but its not respond to anything from the buttons, even tried another set of buttons.

Any ideas? Just want to confirm the module I got is the correct one it has to be, double checked the wiring seems to be right.

Cheers.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Hello.

I've been mucking around for a while collecting the parts I need to fit the stereo buttons from a VS calais/statesman on my VS berlina.

I got all the parts.

switches, remote radio module which I am pretty sure I got the correct box, has 2 tabs on each side for screws that hold it on, was below the bcm and it's a black plastic box, not sure why it has some wattages listed on it like 2x55w etc I thought it was for headlights but i could not find any other module and the wire colours seem to be the same on it like the ones on the gregories wiring diagram.

module.jpg

Anyway i wanted to hook it up on the bench before installing it to the car to see if i could get it to work.

I hooked up the factory calais head unit ground and both power wires to get it to turn on.
From the module.

Black wire - directly to battery ground
Brown wire - to brown wire on the head unit, i take it this is for the signal from the module to head unit.
Yellow wire - To power

Yellow/Black wire off module -- Yellow/black wire coming off steering wheel.... this goes through the horn wiring and to the buttons Yellow wire.

The other wire coming off the wheel was a black wire, I grounded this to battery.

Turned head unit on, but its not respond to anything from the buttons, even tried another set of buttons.

Any ideas? Just want to confirm the module I got is the correct one it has to be, double checked the wiring seems to be right.

Cheers.

Nope,it doesnt work that way,BCM have to be on line too.So,you can only try it or get it working on the car,cause BCM receives signals from the buttons and sends commands out the head unit via remote module..

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Thanks for the reply.

I just got it to work, turns out the box doesn't want to function unless the output wire going to the horn relay is connected.
Other than that is working without being connected to the BCM.

Darrylmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V LY7 V6
Hi Z2TT
I know this is an old post, but how did you get it to work? i have a 1997 VS Calais and i am trying to hook up a 7" Head unit and cant get steering wheel controls to work?
Cheers