Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[HQ/HJ] Car rewiring questions

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I have recently had no end of electrical problems with my HQ/HJ, 40 year old wiring is just cracking and shorting on everything it can touch. As it is when I turn on the headlights now it will completely stall and I need to jump out of the car, pop the bonnet and wiggle the starter motor positive lead. So its time to rewire the entire thing before it is undrivable or worse, bursts into flames.

Now my main question is, if I find out the highest watt*/amp wire can I just buy a tonne of wire of that amperage and use it throughout? I would get different colours of that wiring though. Or would it even pay to go higher slightly higher then that just to be safe?

Also, when it comes to main positives (and earths) will 2gauge wiring do? Or should I go 0gauge. I plan on dropping atleast a 80amp preferably a 100amp alternator in so I can have a headunit and a couple of other things (I know its overkill but it costs about the same to get a 100amp made up as it does a 55amp so might as well). Old one is buggered and is only 30something amp.

Finally, is there any decent heat shielding I can put on the wiring to give it a bit of extra weather protection and much needed heat protection? I am reasonably sure that's having a massive effect on the decay of the current wiring.

I know the job wont be quick, but its a project car. And I honestly want to get to know the entire car both mechanical, electrical and bodywork (already chasing down a paint shop up here that'll let me paint it myself using their gear). So not too keen on hearing 'pay someone else to do it'.

* I was told to work out watts it is Watt/12, eg 120watt bulb is 120/12 = 10amp wire.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
be careful with your choice of alternator sounds like you are getting a delta wound alternator which will produce very low voltage at idle
better off using VN -VR Bosch 85A
As for wiring better off having a google around and buying a complete loom. the plugs and terminals can be tricky to get and will end up costing more
NKA Parts Performance items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!
painless wiring in USA make some excellent generic looms HQ is similar to chevy for most switches and plugs
Painless Performance: 18 Circuit 1969 thru 1974 GM Muscle Car Harness
use standard sizes and genuine colours if possible as it will make fault finding so much easier
I just use corrugated split tubing for insulation and heat proof sleeving near exhaust
your watt formula is correct