Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Electrics.

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
G'day guys, last night my VT wouldn't start so I had to jump start it and drive it about 45 mins home with no lights, parkers, interior lights, speedo, brake lights, NOTHING! Not even the hazards. Mind you I couldn't get above 50km/h (not that I really wanted to).
It was felt like all the power had been sucked out of the car completely.

So today I had an auto-elec look at it and he did his little voltage tests etc and thinks its not the alternator.
So after he left I put another battery in it the car (from my mums car, so it was definitely working perfectly) and with in 3mins that one died as well...

I have no idea on what it could be, but right at this moment I can't afford to go and buy a battery and have it die in a matter of days and I also can't really afford a quote from a decent auto-elec so thought I'd see what you guys think it could be.

I don't know if I explained it that well but if you have any other questions I will answer as best I can.

Cheers.

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Anything? Ideas?
I have an amp, sub and aftermarket head unit in the car as well if that helps at all?

This is urgent, I just want my car back.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Were you getting the battery light coming up on the dash?, chances are it is the alternator, either the brushes have worn down and arent making good contact, also check the power wire on the back can loosen, so check its on tight

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Yeaa I was getting the battery light on the dash, but the car was still turning over first time, every time perfectly. So I didn't think anything of it.

I thought it might've been an earthing problem with the amp, so I completely disconnected the amp from the battery and the car worked fine all day today, no battery light or anything. But then tonight, it happened again and I had to drive home with no lights/speedo etc. the dash cluster also just kept turning off and on.

And this is probably going to seem like a really stupid question to ask, but how would I go about checking the things you said?

troykinsvt

yes i like fibreglassing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
have you got the remote/memory wire connected right for the sub ? normally there is a 12v wire running to the battery, another one earthing in the boot and another one running to the head unit itself.... it just sends a signal to the amp saying "he mate the cars off so you can have a rest" OR SIMPLY (TURN ON /OFF)
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM....

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
have you got the remote/memory wire connected right for the sub ? normally there is a 12v wire running to the battery, another one earthing in the boot and another one running to the head unit itself.... it just sends a signal to the amp saying "he mate the cars off so you can have a rest" OR SIMPLY (TURN ON /OFF)
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM....

Yeaa, the amp is completely disconnected now so I've just gotta wait for someone to get home to give me a jumpstart and see if anything has changed...
My theory is I've got a dodgy battery terminal.
There's not much I can really do without the car running so I've just gotta play the waiting game at the moment.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
do you have a multimeter if so measure voltage at battery with car sitting there and with engine running
if not use diagnostic mode
hold mode and up arrow turn ignition to on (red lights) let go of buttons
press mode to get to battery voltage 3 times? from memory
again measure with car sitting there and then start and measure running
should be around 12.2v static and 14.3v running
sounds like your alternator has died , why 1st autoelec couldn't diagnose is beyond me
VT did have a recall for faulty connection at back of alternator you will see a burnt connection
link to diagnostic post if you're interested beware a lot of people have added guesses and rumours so don't believe a lot of it
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...97-2002/10141-vt-vx-hidden-trip-computer.html

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Yeaa I've got another person coming to have a look at the car tonight..
I did the voltage test again today (instead of getting someone else to do it again) and it started at 12.9 (when the car was started) and went down to 8.1 pretty quickly. So I'm guessing it is the alternator as well, unfortunately.

Thanks mate, I'll let you know what how it all goes tonight and hopefully I'll have it fixed tomorrow once I get the part.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
12.9v and dropped to 8.1v you need a battery as well, or else you have a severe current draw somewhere

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Ok, so I went and picked up a new external regulator (the black plastic part behind the alternator) and the car seems to be running alright.
I don't have 100% confidence in it yet though so I'll see how it's going in a couple of days.
Fingers crossed.