Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking for shorts on wiring loom?

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
To cut to the chase i need to find what i think is a short some where or a dodgy earth. I have a rip snorter of a multi meter so its packed with functions. But how do i actually or what part do i touch when im checking single wires?
Car is a navara and its blkowing fuses like no tomorro. Done the 10 odd hours of internet googles and have isolated the various wires cutting out most of the looms and conponents. any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you can put the meter on ohms horseshoe symbol or buzzer mode will have ohms and semicircles getting bigger symbol
touch leads together to see and hear what happens when you have a short will show close to zero ohms and buzzer will sound
find circuit that is blowing fuses remove fuse
put multimeter on dc volts 20 or any dc number greater than battery voltage
ac symbol has wavy line dc has dotted and dash straight lines
connect negative/black terminal of multimeter to clean chasis ground
connect red/positive lead of multimeter to fuse holder
one side will show about 12v(battery volts) other side will show zero (depending on circuit may need ignition on accessories or ignition on)
write down or draw picture which side is live and which is zero
you can now turn ignition off
now switch meter to ohms mode connect red lead to zero side of fuse holder
if short is present will sound buzzer and display close to zero ohms
remove one wire harness/component at a time until you determine where short is
takes months to learn how to use a good multimeter correctly but this should get you started

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Easiest way to find shorts is with a short light, you can make one yourself easily by gettin some 4mm or 5mm twin wire about 2m long, on one end of the wire you put a couple of spade terminals that will fit inplace of the fuse which is blowing. on the other end of the wire you crimp some large spade terminals that can fit on a standard H4 globe. Next you simply plug the spade terminals into the fuse holder and the globe should light up bright because of the short, now you go around the car and start wiggling all the wiring hareses untill the light goes out which indiates the short is in that area.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
I think krisp is hoping for a chance to use his new multimeter
but you are correct a globe accross the fuse holder is how i would do it too